Seregil's Reviews > Raven and the Wolf

Raven and the Wolf by Mari Evers

Oct 05, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-and-paranormal, slash-fantasy

3.5 stars (leaning towards 4 stars) Enjoyable fantasy with a gay romance. Actually the problem was that it wasn't really focused on the romance, nor on the fantasy intrigue, so in the end I found it lacking in both areas. The romance was cute, but I felt like the characters were a bit too generic (with a lot of characteristics that we were told they have, but we were never shown). Their background was a bit glossed over, too, but maybe the author plans to go into detail in the sequels (?).
The plot - the war between the two nations, shapeshifters and humans - was a bit unconvincing. We are led to believe there is a complex political situation, with various interests, but the whole story sounded like a history lesson. The main characters decided not to get involved in any of it, except for a battle they fought just to get some retribution.
The side characters were pretty interesting. I'd have liked to read more about Elekin and about the magic system in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raven and the Wolf.

message 1: by Mari (new)

Mari Evers Hi. Thank you for reading and taking the time to review. I hope you don't mind that I send you this?
I'm still learning to write, but catching those pesky 'show, not tell's' are hard for me, reading OR writing. If you can remember any such places in RatW, could you please point me at them? I want to get better at this stuff.
Also, thank you for being straight with the con-crit! This is the stuff that will teach me to get better. (though I agree with the whole war thing, I had little grip on that *cough* I shouldn't really say that, should I? ^^;)

Again, thank you!
Mim/Mari Evers

ps. tell me go shove off it this feels like a scary stalker person. I don't mean it to sound that way. ds.