lacy [a ravenclaw library]'s Reviews > The Sweetheart Sham

The Sweetheart Sham by Danielle Ellison

bookshelves: 2017, 5-stars, arc-copy, e, ebooks, favorite

A special thank you goes out to Entangled Teen publishing for allowing me to read this early. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

Initial thoughts;
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK! Like omg, I really loved this book. I know, that sounds like the least eloquent thing I could say. And I know that as the professional reviewer that I am, you all expect more out of me. cough cough. But I can't help it. I just want to shout to the world about how everyone should read this book!

Plot;
The entire thing was just adorable but it also had several important themes squeezed into there. Like the importance of acceptance and forgiving your loved ones for the mistakes they made have made. It takes a lot to forgive someone, no matter how big or how little the incident was. I liked that this book explored that option. Forgiveness wasn't given right away nor was it expected to be given. The teens in this book were treated like the adults they were becoming.

Acceptance was a major part of this book, like I mentioned above. There is a character, Will, that was afraid to come out to his family and friends. It was good to see that in there because it's real. It happens to teens and even adults all the time. Will wasn't pressured to come out until he was ready. He wasn't forced out. He did it on his own time with Georgie beside him. It was also nice to see that this wasn't the whole plot of the book. It was part of it but it was so much more than whether or not Will was going to come out.

Characters;
Speaking of Will and Georgie, can I just say I loved their friendship? They both supported each other and also kept each grounded. I loved that Georgie was both the typical Southern Belle but was also herself and didn't let being a Belle define her. I think she could really be a character that a lot of girls can look up too. She really proved that you could love dresses but also go swimming in your underwear and that didn't make you any less of a lady.

Beau was a great MC as well. I loved his dedication to his mom. I feel you don't see that a lot in YA. Like it's too cool for boys to love their mom and check on them when they are away. It's completely okay to call your mom and tell her you love her in from of your boys. I also saw a lot of character growth from him in a short amount of time. I could really dig that. Yes, he acted like a teenager but he also acted like an adult when he needed to be.

Overall;
I wasn't sure what I was getting into with this book. Books based on the South are hit and miss for me. But like I keep saying, I loved this book! I felt like I was at home. Danielle Ellison captured what it truly means to live in a small town where everybody knows you and your business. I am anxious to see what the next book will be. I'm hoping for a Will book because I really liked him as a character and would love to have an insight to his mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart Sham.

November 22, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 – Shelved
November 22, 2017 –
2.0% "I’m only 2% in and I’m already loving this adorable book."
November 23, 2017 –
55.0% "How would you trip someone with a fluffy puppy?! 😂😂"
November 23, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017