Jim's Reviews > The Monkey's Raincoat

The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais

36199787

liked it
bookshelves: books-read-2017, mystery-suspense-thriller

This is the first book in the Elvis Cole series and the first book by the author that I have read. The book was originally published in 1987 and feels dated when you read it. In addition to things like pay phones it comes across like one of those television PI's from the 1970's or 80's. Magnum P.I. or Rockford. The setting is LA and the author wrote scripts for television so I guess that is understandable. The characters are not very well developed.

We meet Elvis Cole in his office staring at his Pinocchio clock listening to Ellen Lang tell her tale of woe. Her husband Mort and son Perry have disappeared. Janet Simon is Ellen's best friend and has brought her to Elvis's office to locate them because Ellen is weak and submissive. Janet badgers, rolls her eyes, and criticizes. Elvis and Janet don't hit if off but he somewhat reluctantly takes on the case. Ellen is the client, the damsel in distress. Elvis the knight.

Mort is a talent agent who decided to leave his job and start his own agency. Unfortunately he wasn't very successful. Of course the story takes us into the seamier side of Hollywood and drugs and sex. Fortunately Elvis has several contacts in the movie studios as well as the police department to assist him.

Elvis has a partner in his agency. We didn't get to meet Joe Pike when Ellen and Janet showed up at the office. He doesn't spend much time there. When Elvis calls Joe and we finally meet him he apparently isn't much of a conversationalist either. He is more of a Rambo.

This was a fun and enjoyable read. Not much of a mystery or thought required. If you enjoy hard boiled detective stories you will probably like this. I will probably read other books in the series if I am looking for something quick to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monkey's Raincoat.

November 22, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 – Shelved
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: books-read-2017
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense-thriller
November 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Brenda That’s exactly how I felt when I read this, Jim. Good review.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Brenda wrote: "That’s exactly how I felt when I read this, Jim. Good review."

Thank you Brenda! I bought one or two of Robert Crais's books when I saw them on sale. I heard the later books are better. Keeping my fingers crossed. This was entertaining but sometimes it is nice to have more in a story and it's characters.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Gail wrote: "I’ve only read, “Suspect” which I really enjoyed."

Thank you Gail. I have read some reviews that indicate later books in the series are better. I think that is normal in most series. It takes a few books for the characters to develop.

message 4: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I like Elvis and Joe. Everyone should have friends like these two fellas :):)

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Barbara wrote: "I like Elvis and Joe. Everyone should have friends like these two fellas :):)"

I think I am going to enjoy this series. Probably will be the series I will be reading in 2018.