Matthew's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: own, 2019, completist-book-club, fantasy

For a long time, this book has sat upon my shelf. I never read synopsis anymore, so anything I knew about it was word of mouth. Based on the few things I heard and the image on the cover, this book was not what I expected.

Many people have sung the praises of this book and it has come very highly recommended. Unfortunately I have to say *ducks behind nearest fortified object*, it was just okay for me. Not bad, mind you, but it did not blow my mind, either.

I thought both the beginning and the end were kind of slow. The middle was very interesting and I was enjoying the world that was created, but it took a while to get there and when I was finally getting into it, the main character went off on a side story that, to me at least, didn’t really seem to fit where it had been going.

Also, for a 650 page book, hardly anything really happened. When I finished I was kind of wondering why it took so long tell this part of Kvothe’s story. Again, It was not bad by any means, just really drawn out. All in all, despite this drawing out, I found it to be an interesting story (even in the slow parts).

One of my favorite things in the book was the character interaction. There are some really odd characters here along with the stereotypical good and bad guys. I saw many comparisons from other reviewers to Harry Potter and I could definitely see some Harry vs Draco vs Snape type action going on here. Those were probably my favorite parts of the book.

I really hope it gets to the point with (view spoiler) soon! That storyline is starting to feel REALLY drawn out. I guess the point is that Kvothe is solidly locked in the (view spoiler), but it is getting kind of painful to watch him treading water there. I say either get on with it or move on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

November 22, 2017 – Shelved
December 31, 2018 – Shelved as: completist-book-club
December 31, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 2, 2019 –
page 17
2.57% "This was not a place for demons"
January 4, 2019 –
page 33
4.98% "Arrow to the knee"
January 5, 2019 –
page 48
7.25% ""What can any of them know about me?""
January 7, 2019 –
page 126
19.03% "Four doors"
January 13, 2019 –
page 138
20.85% "Tehlu is vengeful"
January 14, 2019 –
page 152
22.96% "Demons"
January 16, 2019 –
page 165
24.92% "Encanis"
January 18, 2019 –
page 174
26.28% "Searching for a story"
January 19, 2019 –
page 198
29.91% "Two talents"
January 20, 2019 –
page 212
32.02% "New used shoes"
January 21, 2019 –
page 224
33.84% "Playing the lute is like riding a bicycle"
January 22, 2019 –
page 260
39.27% "Hot foot"
January 30, 2019 –
page 302
45.62% "The history of Elodin"
February 1, 2019 –
page 355
53.63% "Underthing"
February 6, 2019 –
page 371
56.04% "Sir Savien and Aloine"
February 9, 2019 –
page 427
64.5% "Flowers"
February 14, 2019 –
page 445
67.22% "Seven words that would make a woman love you"
February 16, 2019 –
page 458
69.18% "Oops! That wasn't supposed to happen!"
February 17, 2019 –
March 10, 2019 –
page 640
96.68% "Going crazy"
March 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

Morgannah You are reading this AND Night Film? Are you trying to kill me?

Matthew Morgannah wrote: "You are reading this AND Night Film? Are you trying to kill me?"

Too much goodness all at once? :)

Morgannah Matthew wrote: "Too much goodness all at once? :)"

Matthew Morgannah wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Too much goodness all at once? :)"
"

You mean, like this overwhelming awesomeness???

Morgannah Matthew wrote: "You mean, like this overwhelming awesomeness???"

Matthew Morgannah wrote: "Matthew wrote: "You mean, like this overwhelming awesomeness???"
No, because I am afraid of cats. Maybe more like this overwhelming awesomeness...."

Oh dang - that is sooooooo much better! I am almost ashamed now at how much my offering pales in comparison to yours!

Chad Matthew wrote: "I will definitely try out the next book. But, I don’t think I will be rushing to get to it anytime soon. "

Matthew Chad wrote: "Yeah, no hurry to read the next one. I've been waiting for the 3rd book since 2011. Rothfuss seems to have George R.R. Martin Syndrome."

That is another thing I have also heard a lot!

Feli I felt very similar towards this book. I liked it but I thought the beginning was very VERY slow. I enjoyed the middle part very much but driftet off a lot while reading the ending. It's a great book with great writing, but I am a bit confused by the hype around it cause generally I am the person who likes a slow build up to the story while others usually tend to dislike or even dnf books where nothing happens the first 50 pages or so. And this book needed even more pages to get going 😂

Audrey I found a lot of it slow. But there were cool ideas.

Matthew Feli wrote: "I felt very similar towards this book. I liked it but I thought the beginning was very VERY slow. I enjoyed the middle part very much but driftet off a lot while reading the ending. It's a great bo..."

Exactly! This one took so long to get into the story. There are some books longer than just the lead up in this book!

I am glad to see there are some out there who felt the same way that I did.

Matthew Audrey wrote: "I found a lot of it slow. But there were cool ideas."

Another "exactly!" :)

message 13: by Ginger (last edited Mar 12, 2019 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger I wouldn't worry about getting to the second book anytime soon. I still have not read it and if he doesn't plan on writing a 3rd book, I'll likely put this series on the dusty shelf.
Great review by the way! I agree with all your points, especially with (view spoiler)

Matthew Ginger wrote: "I wouldn't worry about getting to the second book anytime soon. I still have not read it and if he doesn't plan on writing a 3rd book, I'll likely put this series on the dusty shelf.
Great review b..."

Thanks, by the way! :)

message 15: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad Matthew wrote: "So, are there rumors that he might not write it, or are readers just getting bitter about the delay?"

Ginger Matthew wrote: "So, are there rumors that he might not write it, or are readers just getting bitter about the delay?"

I think mine is more bitter. :D
I think he's still planning on writing a 3rd book but I'll likely die before it comes out. ;) LOL

Anika I felt the exact same way after reading this! Like it was good, but I wasn’t blown away. Great review!

Matthew Chad wrote: "I haven't heard anything about Rothfuss not writing a third book, but he's also not in any hurry. He just wrote a Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons comic and is looking for a colorist for a new kickstarter graphic novel he's written."

Matthew Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "So, are there rumors that he might not write it, or are readers just getting bitter about the delay?"

I think mine is more bitter. :D
I think he's still planning on writing a 3rd b..."

Tell us how you really feel! ;)

Jessica I'm about halfway in the second book. Nothing much new has happened so far haha I hope to get at least some answers by the end of this book. I don't mind reading the books though, it's a lovely stroll through Kvothe's world.

Matthew Anika wrote: "I felt the exact same way after reading this! Like it was good, but I wasn’t blown away. Great review!"

Thanks, Anika! I am still surprised at the volume of agreement I am getting on this!

message 22: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad Matthew wrote: "Why do some of these authors overwork themselves with things not related to their main project!? "

I think some of these authors start these epic projects without a roadmap to the finish planned out. Then they hit writer's block at a certain point. I think it occurs even more frequently when the first book is a success and they no longer need to finish the next book to pay the bills.

Matthew Jessica wrote: "I'm about halfway in the second book. Nothing much new has happened so far haha I hope to get at least some answers by the end of this book. I don't mind reading the books though, it's a lovely str..."

I have heard a few others say the same thing about the second book - it is bigger and it starts off with even less happening! :)

message 24: by Lars (new) - added it

Lars Dradrach Have this planned for some time, but refuse to start yet another trilogy with the risk of the 3. Book newer arriving - damm it seems interesting

Matthew Lars wrote: "Have this planned for some time, but refuse to start yet another trilogy with the risk of the 3. Book newer arriving - damm it seems interesting"

I might have waited longer on this, but it came up in one of my book clubs!

Audrey I’ve also seen near universal hate for (view spoiler)

Matthew Audrey wrote: "I’ve also seen near universal hate for [spoilers removed]"

Ha! Wow! I guess I can see that pretty easily!

Stephen "Also, for a 650 page book, hardly anything really happened." Yes, and yet it was still ok. But also the main reason why #2 has sat in my TBR for 4 years.

message 29: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. B. Neilly I am one of the ones who love Denna and this book.

Matthew Stephen wrote: ""Also, for a 650 page book, hardly anything really happened." Yes, and yet it was still ok. But also the main reason why #2 has sat in my TBR for 4 years."

Yeah, hard to explain why that is okay, but I agree - but also agree that it does not inspire continuing right away!

Matthew A. wrote: "I am one of the ones who love Denna and this book."

Cool - a Denna supporter! :) Do I see a debate about to break out in my comments section!? ;)

Jessica I am one of the people who adores this book. I fell in love with music all over again while reading this series. It changed the way I read and pushed so many boundaries within the fantasy genre. Rothfuss has an incredible way of layering a story. On the surface you have a boy with a tragic past, here is he life story. But it’s much more than that. It’s about growth, maturity, loyalty, and what made him “King killer?” He is one of my favorite characters in literature.

As for Denna? Can’t stand her. She is the most annoying character to me and I hope there is a better outcome with her than I’m anticipating.

Matthew Jessica wrote: "I am one of the people who adores this book. I fell in love with music all over again while reading this series. It changed the way I read and pushed so many boundaries within the fantasy genre. Ro..."

While a bit slow and drug out, I would agree with you that throughout I enjoyed the writing, the story, and the characters. I didn't quite reach the "adore" level! :)

And, Denna hater - now things are gonna heat up in this debate! ;)

message 34: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli The one problem I see with the third book not being written now is that there is to be a movie (again, the first adaptation was canceled) and I heard about a tv show and a videogame as well.
If those things happen before Rothfuss will publish book 3 things could really become a bit GRRM like... More people will know about the story, that's more pressure for the author again, maybe there will even be a filmed ending before the books have one (again..)... I don't know how to feel about all this.

I love how books inspire other formats like tv, film, gaming, and music (Nightwish made a beautiful song about the Edema Ruh, it's one of my favorites for years now), but I am also a bit sceptical since the whole GoT thing...

Audrey I need to reread it, especially since I’ve been learning the violin (my fifth instrument) since reading it and will better understand the music scenes.

Matthew Audrey wrote: "I need to reread it, especially since I’ve been learning the violin (my fifth instrument) since reading it and will better understand the music scenes."

Good point! I bet a musician would get a bit more out of this story as music is an integral part.

Audrey I didn’t understand before how the same note can be played on different strings, so that whole part about compensating for broken strings makes sense now.

Matthew Audrey wrote: "I didn’t understand before how the same note can be played on different strings, so that whole part about compensating for broken strings makes sense now."

My actual playing of music knowledge is very limited, so I just trust the author and roll with it! :)

Mehrnaz I couldn't agree with you more. It was good but not that great. I always end up with this feeling when I trust the old hype. It seems that authors increase our expectation so much every year.

Matthew Mehrnaz wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more. It was good but not that great. I always end up with this feeling when I trust the old hype. It seems that authors increase our expectation so much every year."

Yes, the hype gets stale eventually, doesn't it!?😄

Mehrnaz Matthew wrote: "Mehrnaz wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more. It was good but not that great. I always end up with this feeling when I trust the old hype. It seems that authors increase our expectation so much e..."

It sure does!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Haha! No rush, Matthew! I still didn't read the second book even though I loved the first one. But the third book is still not out and we're all wondering of it will ever happen. XD So you got lots of time to come back to this series. 😂😊 And I agree poor Kvothe. Denna thoroughly friendzoned him. *lol*

Matthew Virginia Ronan wrote: "Haha! No rush, Matthew! I still didn't read the second book even though I loved the first one. But the third book is still not out and we're all wondering of it will ever happen. XD So you got lots..."

I will definitely need a refresher on book one before I start book two. But, as you say, no rush! 😃

message 44: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Hi all! I'm conducting a survey about fan and critical receptions of The Name of the Wind, and reader communities. I'd love to investigate why this book appeals/ does not appeal so strongly to different groups of people. If you'd like to offer your thoughts, I've put together a short, fun survey here!

Matthew Maya wrote: "Hi all! I'm conducting a survey about fan and critical receptions of The Name of the Wind, and reader communities. I'd love to investigate why this book appeals/ does not appeal so strongly to diff..."

Cool!