Amy's Reviews > Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

Oct 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

I read this book as part of the Maud Hart Lovelace reading program for students in grades 6-8. It was just ok. The beginning was slow-moving I thought and it took me a long time to get into the story line. It really wasn't a book I would've chosen to read if not for MHL.

Pika, Norweigan for girl, isn't given a name at birth because her mother is disappointed she is another girl and she, quite frankly, is finished with having children. Pika, or Lass as she is also called, is approached by an isbjorn (polar bear) and taken to an ice castle to live for a year. Every night, a young man came and laid beside her to sleep in her bed. Curiosity is killing her and one night she lights a candle stump she brought from home and sees the face of this strange man. He is gorgeous! But once he wakes up, the spell is over. Trolls have cast a spell on him. He is the polar bear during the day and the young man in Lass' bed at night and if Lass can resist the temptation to look at him at night for a whole year, he will be changed into a man forever and they can marry. But, because Lass couldn't hold out, her isbjorn is whisked away to another castle to marry the troll princess. Lass follows with the help of wind and women and is able to free her isbjorn to the delight of all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow.