Alison O'Keefe's Reviews > The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster

The Trauma Cleaner by Sarah Krasnostein

I have two reactions to this story - the first being totally in awe of Sandra. Her amazing understanding and depth of compassion for everyone she meets, her incredible life-story, and her strength are just astounding to read about. The jobs she takes on, the people she meets and helps through her work - all so interesting. I would have loved to read about a meth lad clean-up, and also the mechanics behind her police contracts for her services, but the details of the jobs in the book were fascinating.

The second reaction I have is to the writing itself, which I found frustrating and difficult to read at times. A lot of terrible similes, and a lot of excuses for behaviour Sandra exhibited that didn't fit with the author's golden view of her subject. The worst one I can remember, involved Sandra standing in a room on a job, and being compared to one of Monet's golden haystacks in her beauty - there were just so many comments like this.
At the beginning the author says that this is her version of a love letter for Sandra - and that made it easier to read those passages, and obviously Sandra is such a wonderfully complex person it was worth reading anyway.

A great story. I'm happy that there are people out there like Sandra who will take on these jobs, and bring the people who need help in that way a human response to their troubles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trauma Cleaner.

November 21, 2017 – Started Reading