Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)'s Reviews > Stillhouse Lake

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine

That prologue just immediately caught my attention and from there I could barely put the book down. A one sit read for me and I couldn't have imagined a better Sunday - I would say relaxing but this book does NOT relax you!

Gina/Gwen and her kids have taken on new identities... again... as they have to deal with the aftermath of her husband, their father, being a serial killer who is spending life behind bars. Families of the victims, internet trolls, fans of the killer, are after her and the kids. They think justice still needs to be served and surely she helped him. How could she have NOT known being married to him and sharing a bed with him every night!

The author takes you on their journey as they try to build a life at Stillhouse Lake. Just when they thought they'd need to run again, occurrences keep them there and now they don't know who they can trust. As we watch Gwen berate herself for letting her guard down, we also see the stronger woman she's become since the truth of her husband has come to light. Paranoid, standoffish and fiercely protective of her kids, she will let NOTHING come to harm them.

While the majority of the book stays on her paranoid path, it never felt redundant or made my attention waver. I did see a couple of things coming toward the end but it never took away from the pacing of the book and kept me on the edge of my seat. I felt myself getting extremely involved with Gwen and her kids. The set up at the end, though not unexpected, is perfect for book two. I'm happy to say I have a copy so that I can just go straight in and see what happens.

It certainly makes you realize the aftermath of the innocent from the actions of the guilty. It's not a pretty picture and certainly not so in this digital age. I'm rooting for Gwen! (Even if she does like craft beer... ew!)

Huge thanks to Amazon Publishing for this copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stillhouse Lake.

November 21, 2017 – Shelved
November 21, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 10, 2017 – Started Reading
December 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Luvtoread (new) - added it

Luvtoread Excellent review Chandra!

Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows) Luvtoread wrote: "Excellent review Chandra!"

Thank you!!

message 3: by Rakhi (new) - added it

Rakhi This will be my next read. Its been long time to get hooked to a book.