Veronique's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: 2017, stars-4-0

“It is true that words have power, and one of the things they are able to do is get out of someone’s mouth before the speaker has the chance to stop them.”

Granny Weatherwax is back! Our favourite witch is brought to the scene when a baby is dropped at her feet leading her and her covent sisters, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, to deal with the death of a monarch and his rightful succession. All this of course involves a lot more than was first thought, with the kingdom in disarray due to the ‘usurpers’, and forces them to meddle with royal politics.

Wyrd Sisters is Pratchett’s homage to the Theatre and Shakespeare, sprinkling references to MacBeth, Hamlet and King Lear all over the plot. As always, the author’s recognisable writing style and humour jump at you, full of metaphors, puns and irony, and threatening all the time to take over :O)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.

November 21, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Trish So glad you were able to read this in the meantime (and that you liked it)! But what is this I see? Only 4 stars out of 5 for my beloved Granny? You sure you're not gonna regret this when I trap you in a hole with her like that bear we read about in book #3? *grins*

Veronique *lol* Granny would always get 5* but the story itself doesn’t...

Trish Tsk tsk tsk.

Linda 50 pages left for me. It's going to be 5 stars. :)

Veronique Well, I’m happy your enjoying it. I do have high hopes for the next one since I love egyptology...

Trish Linda wrote: "50 pages left for me. It's going to be 5 stars. :)"

Yay! :D

Veronique wrote: "Well, I’m happy your enjoying it. I do have high hopes for the next one since I love egyptology..."

So am I but it wasn't as good as the witches or Death for me.

message 7: by Vavita (new)

Vavita So sad, I have no time to follow this series... I would like so much to read the books and participate in the discussions. sigh!

Trish Vavita wrote: "So sad, I have no time to follow this series... I would like so much to read the books and participate in the discussions. sigh!"

Well, the good thing is that the discussions can always be revived and I'm sure we wil lall still be gladly discussing the books with you once you find some time again. :)

Veronique Totally! And, Vavita, you don’t have to read the whole series in one go. Just pick a book when you can. I’m not sure I’ll be able to carry on. Circumstances do change and this is a very long series :0)

message 10: by Vavita (new)

Vavita You both are right. I can pick up any time. I am just in a paranormal romance mood right now. Reading one lusty vampire book after the other...

Trish It's important to read according to one's moods. That's why I couldn't stop with Discworld because I would have lost momentum otherwise.

message 12: by Allie (new)

Allie B Have only read one DiscWorld novel so far but enjoyed it - Lords and Ladies.

Veronique Allie wrote: "Have only read one DiscWorld novel so far but enjoyed it - Lords and Ladies."

Tempted to read more? :O) Nice to see you here

message 14: by Allie (last edited Dec 06, 2017 06:39AM) (new)

Allie B Veronique wrote: Tempted to read more? :O) Nice to see you here"

Thanks! :-) Yes I've got a couple more bookmarked to read. I can imagine them being quite addictive.