Diann Blakely's Reviews > Where's the Moon, There's the Moon: Poems

Where's the Moon, There's the Moon by Dan Chiasson

Oct 04, 2011

My introduction to this collection came via a single poem, "Thread," which was posted on the Academy of American Poets website (http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/pr...). While I knew nothing of Chiasson, I was immediately certain that this was the work of a father, of someone who had spent a great deal of time reading to his children. And for once, my aim was true.

How different from the first Chiasson poem I remember reading and filed, in my haphazard way, randomly among the pages of one of my all-time favorite novels, Donna Tartt's THE SECRET HISTORY. There was, however, some logic in my action: the center of that novel is the murder of a college student accomplished by pushing his body into a ravine, and the name of Chiasson's haunting poem from a previous stage of his career? Well, just look it up, though I'll give you a hint ((http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=2002... Tartt's novel, Chiasson's poem is haunting, a series of well-rendered impressions that offer a clear-eyed look into his own "ravine."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where's the Moon, There's the Moon.