Trevor's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

1947572
Oct 04, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

This was the first David Sedaris book I've read, though I've been familiar with his work for many years (generally snippets of an audiobook here or catching a YouTube video of a Letterman performance there).

I found myself slightly underwhelmed, only because I had such high expectations for the laughs I was undoubtedly going to have out loud. Without doubt, Sedaris is a gifted and hilarious writer, and there are many times where he is very funny. However, it wasn't until the latter part of the second section that I found myself really enjoying the book.

Sedaris' work is best experienced hearing his own, unique voice with his masterful sense of timing telling the myriad odd stories of his life -- something that isn't quite equaled on the printed page (or, to be fair, in my own mind that's reading it).

I also found myself unable to stop being painfully aware of how every single member of his family, including him, seems incredibly deranged. Sure, they could all be carefully crafted, semi-fictitious caricatures of the real people...but it's almost frightening to imagine an entire family exhibiting all the crazy traits he talks about in his stories.

It's also funny to imagine, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip P. The screwed up family is pervasive, but always really awesome--you should youtube his sister, Amy, particularly for her appearances on Martha Steward and David Letterman.

It's funny you mention his voice--I actually read him before hearing him, and hearing him, for me, actually worsened it. I liked my inner narrator better!

Also, I think his best is "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim." And, if this book didn't contain the "6 to 8 Black Men" essay, it is a MUST read. I believe it's available somewhere online if you just google it. It's about Dutch Christmas.