Sammy's Reviews > Unless You Become Like This Child

Unless You Become Like This Child by Hans Urs von Balthasar

bookshelves: theology
Read 2 times. Last read April 4, 2018 to April 27, 2018.

5 Stars

I'm just getting into von Balthasar's work for the first time. This was my first intentional dive into his work after reading a few of his essays in a separate collection, and I must say, I'm counting him among my favorite theologians after this experience.

In a humble yet profound style, he gently reveals some of the mysteries of Faith to his readers with a simplicity that resonates deeply. His language is approachable and yet quite deep, and his chapters are brief and easily connected to assist the reader through a little journey of discovery throughout the book. As someone who has aspired to having "faith like a child" for quite some time, this book taught me that I had no idea what that really meant -- and also taught me the profound goal that this attitude should be in any Christian's life.

As a mother, I was touched by von Balthasar's treatment of Mary and parenthood in general throughout this text. The analogies of human relationships made the depth of Divine relationships seem much more palpable, and though I know I'll never (in this life) fully understand the truth of these relationships, I did come away from this read with a much deeper respect and a much more actionable hope to improve my relationship with God and my approach to faith.

This is a short book that's easily read in a day (if you have a few spare hours), and it is far and away worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unless You Become Like This Child.

November 20, 2017 – Started Reading