Bookphenomena (Micky) 's Reviews > Ryan's Bed

Ryan's Bed by Tijan

bookshelves: arc-read, blog, 2018-read, cover-beauty, death, grief, mature-ya, challenging-subject, emotional

It’s been a while since I’ve crossed paths with a Tijan book and I’m glad to have renewed the relationship. RYAN’S BED was a refreshing read in terms of content (view spoiler) and I would classsify this as mature YA.

The blurb makes it clear what the context of this book will be and I must admit, I expected the story to revolve around the title and the romance. I was surprised and pleased to read that this was more about getting inside the mind of a late teen’s grief. The grief element of not just Mackenzie but also her family, was written very well. The romance between Ryan and Mackenzie was strong, intriguing and believable, born initially out of convenience. All things surprised me about the story direction.

The mean girls and the drama alongside it was my least favourite element of the story but I can see how it led to the character development of Mackenzie. The parents were an unfathomable cluster of neglect and I struggled with their reactions to life afterwards. Robbie was a character I would have liked to have known more about.

Now, I don’t want to say too much but Tijan is a genius on that last page, I got an inkling the page before, but I nearly dropped my lunch and my mouth just stayed hanging open. Kudos, Tijan, kudos.

I love a good mature YA and RYAN’S BED certainly fits that bill, with lovely shades of the unexpected.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ryan's Bed.

November 20, 2017 – Shelved
January 13, 2018 – Started Reading
January 14, 2018 –
10.0% "Woah, this is an intense start."
January 15, 2018 –
40.0% "I cannot fathom these parents out."
January 16, 2018 –
66.0% "This is such a good narrative of the grief of a teenage mind."
January 16, 2018 –
100.0% "That ending was wow."
January 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Hollis (new)

Hollis fabulous review of fabulousness.

Bookphenomena (Micky) Hollis wrote: "fabulous review of fabulousness."

YOU’RE fabulous ;)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wheeler You are quite the tease ;-) Great review!

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review! ❤

Bookphenomena (Micky) Rebecca wrote: "You are quite the tease ;-) Great review!"

Hehe, you’ll just have to get to that last page, Mrs!

Bookphenomena (Micky) Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review! ❤"