Elizabeth's Reviews > Bloody Jack

Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer

May 08, 2008

bookshelves: adventure, english-historical-fiction, my-favourites
Read in May, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I LOVE this book!!!!! When I read the first chapter that told of Charlie's trying to sell his live self to the docter, saying something to the effect of, " 'I promise that if I feel ill and liable to die, to come to your doorstep, but in the case that I don't get there I'll carry a note in me vest telling to take me to the doctor to be di-sek-shun-ed!' But his Honor said that he would never make a contract with a live body, even though he though I had a nice spleen. So he had Muck throw meself out. And just for that, I have a mind to abbuse me spleen most terrible.'"
I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing too loud! ( I read it late at night)
All of the characters are wonderful, but my favourite is Charlie and I was really dissappointed when he didn't even live to see, what?, the 5th chapter?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Jack.

message 1: by Emctb (new)

Emctb I love that line about the spleen. It's one of my favorites from BJ. But there was a part in there I love the most that you didn't include. I don't have the book with me at the moment, but it is something along the lines of: "...even though I prolly had a nice spleen. 'Yes, sir.' I says. "I have a right nice spleen and if you pay me now for it I'll treat it real good you.'" I think he says something-or-another about massaging it too, but I forget.