Bam cooks the books ;-)'s Reviews > Einstein's Beach House

Einstein's Beach House by Jacob M. Appel

bookshelves: 2017-reads, short-stories, humor

Each of the eight short stories in this collection focus on an incident, situation or ethical dilemma that Appel's all-too-human characters must deal with.

In "Hue and Cry,' a young girl confronts her dying father's frailty as he pursues an ideal of forgiveness in the face of public outcry. In 'La Tristesse Des Herrissons,' a couple deals with a depressed pet hedgehog and their own idiosyncrasies. In 'Strings,' a rabbi finds herself entangled in the requests of her former lover, a cellist. In 'Limerence,' a young teen has a crush on an unsuitable young woman, a crush that never quite leaves him as he grows to be a family man. In "Einstein's Beach House,' a man capitalizes on a typographical error but finds his lies come back to bite him in a neat plot twist. 'The Rod of Asclepius' is Appel's most haunting tale, told by the daughter of a man who seeks revenge for wife's tragic death. 'Sharing the Hostage' is another deranged pet story: a divorcing couple shares custody of their pet tortoise, Fred; the woman's new boyfriend would love to set Fred free. And in 'Paracosmos,' my favorite story of the collection, a lonely young girl has a new best friend whom her parents think is imaginary until the girl's father shows up on their doorstep. What is real and what is not? And what does the answer reveal about them as a family?

Many thanks to Jacob Appel for providing me with a copy of this collection of eight short stories to read and review. I have become a fan of his writing after reading Millard Salter's Last Day, Appel's most recent book. I highly recommend both of these books and this author to my goodreads friends. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein's Beach House.

November 20, 2017 – Shelved
November 26, 2017 – Shelved as: humor
November 26, 2017 –
page 116
November 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Unfailingly good, Bam.

Bam cooks the books ;-) Kevin wrote: "Unfailingly good, Bam."

Oh thank you, Kevin.

message 3: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia Bam, we do love our Appel, don't we?? Thanks for the great review.

Bam cooks the books ;-) Celia wrote: "Bam, we do love our Appel, don't we?? Thanks for the great review."

Yes, we do!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sounds interesting. You don't see that many stories about hedgehogs and tortoises :)

Bam cooks the books ;-) Barbara wrote: "Sounds interesting. You don't see that many stories about hedgehogs and tortoises :)"

Haha, no you don't!