Jennie's Reviews > Running Away to Home: Our Family's Journey to Croatia in Search of Who We Are, Where We Came From, and What Really Matters

Running Away to Home by Jennifer  Wilson

F 50x66

it was ok

I wanted to like this book more, and debated giving it 3 stars, but I really struggled getting through this otherwise easy read. I think the reasons for this are 1) told as a narrative, Wilson never really makes the other people in this story more than appendages to her account. Even her immediate family seem to be afterthoughts, so I didn't feel connected to any of them. At the same time I didn't ever really feel connected to her journey either. 2) For a travel writer and someone I expected to have realistic expectations regarding traveling and living in different cultures/environments, she seemed to be endlessly surprised by the culture and customs, and this was supposed to be her ancestral home - did she not exhaustively research it? 3) Her goal in this trip was to find her family's ancestral roots and to pull her family out of the suburban hamster wheel and while I think she achieved both of these, she did not express the results of each in her writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Away to Home.

October 4, 2011 – Shelved