Melissa's Reviews > The Man I Thought You Were

The Man I Thought You Were by Leah Mercer

Given that Leah Mercer is also romantic comedy author Talli Roland, it’s amazing to see what she can do with some darker subject matter. I really liked Who We Were Before last year, and was equally impressed by The Man I Thought You Were. Both Anna and Mark are sympathetic characters whom I found myself caring about a lot throughout the story.

Originally, I thought this novel was going to be a domestic thriller, but it really isn’t. It’s a sad story about a marriage that suddenly receives a huge upheaval. Leah keeps the reader guessing the whole time as to whether Anna will be able to find Mark and if they can get things right again. She does a beautiful job of describing their love and why it’s so hurtful and heartbreaking for them to be apart from each other. She also introduces some other compelling characters in both Anna and Mark’s family. I don’t want to say much more as to avoid spoilers.

While I’m very impressed with Leah’s writing style two books in, I would also like to see her try something different the next time. Both novels were about a husband and wife becoming separated and a tragic circumstance that came between them. They had misunderstandings throughout the story that kept them apart even more. Even if she did write another book in this vein, I’d still read it, as she handles difficult situations in a sensitive matter, while also evoking emotion.

Dream movie cast:
Anna: Talulah Riley
Mark: Tom Cullen
Sophie: Felicity Jones

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man I Thought You Were.

November 19, 2017 – Started Reading
November 19, 2017 – Shelved
November 24, 2017 –
November 27, 2017 –
November 28, 2017 –
November 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell Okay, okay. I have added it to my TBP list. I don't know when it will be elevated to my TBR pile. That's the best I can do right now!

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "Okay, okay. I have added it to my TBP list. I don't know when it will be elevated to my TBR pile. That's the best I can do right now!"

No pressure. :)