lacy's Reviews > Island of Exiles

Island of Exiles by Erica Cameron

bookshelves: 2017, 4-stars, arc-copy, c, ebooks

A special thank you goes out to Entangled Teen publishing for allowing me to read. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

initial thoughts;
I will admit. At first, I wasn't super into this book. There was a lot of information and a lot of names that really confused me. Since this island is an island of war, there were a lot of war terms/weapons that I couldn't quite understand, along different names of honor for different people. But after I got through that, the story started to pick up and I really started to enjoy myself. There is also a helpful gallery in the back of every name, weapon and things of that nature.

characters;
The characters were great! Khya was such a strong character and I liked her immediately. I was getting Lada feels from her but with Khya, she knew when to reign in the brutality. My favorite thing about Khya was the love she felt for her blood brother, Yorri. Khya reminded me of...well me in that sense. I love my baby siblings more than anything in this world. If harm ever came by them, I would not rest until the person/s pays for what they did to my babies. Khya's love for her brother really helped me to bond with her more.

I supported the relationship between Tessen and Khya. He challenged her and didn't let her rudeness (which she was prone to do at times) go unchecked. They both helped each other in a lot of ways and I couldn't get enough of their interactions together.

awesome information;
In the email I got that explained a little more about this ARC there was some great information about the author and the book itself. Firstly, the author is asexual and is an advocate. There are characters that are asexual and are LGBTQIA+. The best part is that the LGBTQIA+ is completely normal in this world. There is also diversity and POC. This book is also an ownvoices! (I'm not sure if I need to to put a hashtag or not.)

overall;
This book is a bit difficult to get into a first but once you do, it's a whirlwind of adventure. You will fall in love with the family that this clan creates and you will love Khya and her love for her blood brother. I can't wait to get started on the second book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of Exiles.

November 19, 2017 – Started Reading
November 19, 2017 – Shelved
November 19, 2017 –
November 27, 2017 –
28.0% "I refuse to believe this happened!"
November 27, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017