Anji Cooper's Reviews > Scythe

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: favorite-action-books, favorite-dystopians, favorites

Imagine a world where humanity has conquered death. There is no way to naturally die, and you could theoretically live forever. In this world, there is no crime, no racism, no government, no religion, just life. It's a perfect utopia... right? Ruled over by the all-knowing Thunderhead, anything that can go wrong is prevented before it can even be thought of. People are free to live their life, or a million different lives. They have forever to do it.
The only thing that can end life is a scythe. Scythes are a group of "honorable" people tasked with the burden of killing (or gleaning, as they call it). They are subject to no law but their own, but Scythes are supposed to be fair, unbiased and honorable. The top qualification to become a Scythe is that you can't want to.
Scythe is a fantastic novel. I went into it feeling a little hesitant, after all, I've been burned by five hundred too many hyped up books before. But trust me, the hype is well worth it for this one. I'll admit, the beginning does feel a bit slow, but as you're forcing yourself to read it, you'll suddenly be sucked into the novel and not realize it until after the even has occurred. That's the only way to describe how the book grew on me. I was just eh and then I was SUPER INTO IT without really realizing the switch until far into the SUPER INTO IT stage.
It's everything you want in a novel, compelling characters with an even more compelling plot with an even more compelling and intriguing world.
Not only does Scythe provide an interesting story to read, but it also brings up interesting thoughts and conversations, if you're reading it with others, in regards to life and death.
The story follows two teenagers, Citra and Rowan, and while the story may fall under "YA" because it follows two young adults, Scythe is anything but your typical YA novel. In fact, it's one of the most unique novels I've read in recent times. These two are individually chosen to apprentice for an honorable Scythe, possibly the most honorable Scythe there is-- Scythe Faraday... And well, let's just say that things get twisted because I don't want to spoil anything!
I can't say much on this novel other then you're really going to have to trust me. It starts off boring, I know, but please, just trust me. It gets really good. I'd give the book 7-8/10 stars. I loved it. And also the second book is even better so you'll never get to experience that if you don't read this one first!

Synopsis:

Thou shalt kill.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.

anyway, thanks for reading!
​-Anj

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scythe.

November 19, 2017 – Shelved