Tiffeny's Reviews > All Things Bright and Beautiful

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot

F 50x66
Oct 04, 2011

Read from October 04 to 21, 2011

My good neighbor got me into these books and I love them. This is the 2nd in his series. At the end of the last, he and Helen had just gotten married, and this one continues with their life. But it's still mostly his life as a veterinary surgeon in a small town in England. The stories are funny, heart-felt, sometimes sad, mostly heart-warming. I love these books and can't recommend them enough.

There isn't as much in this book about Herriot's eccentric, sometimes crazy partner Sigfried, his carefree brother Tristan, or even about Helen. I would have liked to hear more about his married life, but he did say this, which is one of my favorite parts (keep in mind he's talking about his young married life in the 1930s):

"In fact it set me to thinking about the big question of how girls might be expected to behave after marriage. One old farmer giving me advice about choosing a wife once said; "Have a bloody good look at the mother first, lad. " and I am sure he had a point. But if I may throw in my own little word of counsel it would be to have a passing glance at how she acts towards her father.

Watching her now as she got down and started to serve my breakfast the warm knowledge flowed through me as it did so often that my wife was the sort who just liked looking after a man and I was so very lucky."

So sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Pearson You never hear to look at how a girl treats her father (but you do hear about looking at how a boy treats his mother). That's nice that he knew he was "so very lucky."

Tiffeny I know. You should really get these books. I actually listen to them as Books on CD (I can't get them on tape) as I'm driving around town, and LOVE IT!! Then I get to hear all the great accents and stuff.