Michael Ferro's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

With 2017 being the most deadly year in U.S. history for hurricanes, and Jesmyn Ward ONCE AGAIN winning the National Book Award for "Sing, Unburied Sing," I figured it was well past time for me to read her debut novel, "Salvage the Bones." And my goodness... what the hell took me so long?

Ward has crafted one of the most spellbinding novels with this effort. The book exudes that southern heat that comes in the hours and days before a monster storm, the vivid landscape of this rural, poor fictional Mississippi town is alive on every page. And Ward's 14-year-old female protagonist named Esch might be one of the most dynamic and realistic characters I've read in some time.

This is a novel, though fiction, that should be shared with so many in our polarized culture. As America braces for the likelihood of many more superstorms to come in the future, it's vitally important that more people read works like these that build the empathy we are so lacking in today's culture. We're not going to stop mindlessly polluting or stupidly discrediting global warming—at least not with this administration—but we can learn to understand the experiences of one another. "Salvage the Bones" is a taut, intelligent, and exciting book that I adored; I can't wait to see what Ward has up next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

November 18, 2017 – Started Reading
November 18, 2017 – Shelved
December 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!!

Michael Ferro Wow, thank you! I appreciate that. It's an amazing book!

Mel (Epic Reading) Ohh thanks for putting this one on my radar.

Michael Ferro It's so good! I hope you enjoy! I was blown away.

message 5: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline I have added this one, thanks to your fabulous review, Michael!

message 6: by Anne ✨ (new) - added it

Anne ✨ Excellent Review! This has been on my TBR for along while too, I definitely need to add it to the short-list for reading soon!

Michael Ferro Thank you! Yes, I HIGHLY recommend it! It was such a powerful novel. Ward is an incredibly gifted writer.

message 8: by William (new)

William Thank you. I grew up in Memphis, and remember the "heat thunderstorms" every summer. Not many hurricanes, though, but some awful ice storms every few years.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz I’ve had this in my TBR queue for ages. Need to make time to read it, especially after I enjoyed Sing, Unburied, Sing so much. Thanks for a great review.

Michael Ferro Thanks! It's such a powerful book. I haven't read Sing, Unburied, Sing yet, but this book really made me excited to read it. Enjoy!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review! Adding!

Michael Ferro Thank you! I hope you enjoy it! Such an incredible novel.

Angela M Excellent review , Michael. I hope you love Sing, Unburied, Sing , probably my favorite of last year .

Michael Ferro Thank you! I really appreciate that. Yes, I'm looking forward to it! So much praise cannot be wrong.

message 15: by Khush (new)

Khush Great review

Michael Ferro Thank you! It's an amazing book.