Ahmed Ejaz's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

bookshelves: 2017, full-lengths

Andy Weir! HOW THE HELL YOU HAVE SUCH AN EXCELLENT GRIP ON SCIENCE?!!!
I really wanted to read another book by him after reading his masterpiece, The Martian. Yes! Still masterpiece even after this book. The news of a new book from him was one of the best things that could ever happen to me. Like in The Martian, Andy Weir's knowledge of science shines in this book very well.

ARTEMIS, The Only City on Moon
*ahem ahem* WOOOOOW!! HOW PERFECTLY BUILT IT WAS!! REALLY!! How the city runs, how the Life Support center works here, how and why it has different money, how it fulfils its need of electricity etc ARE AMAZING!!
This spoiler tag is deadly. Open it at your own risk.
(view spoiler)
For the laws, this city doesn't have them. There are different kind of people belonging to different cultures and religions here. Everyone lives according to way one wants.

Jasmine/Jazz Bashara
She is a non-practising Muslim Saudi Arabian girl. She came to Artemis when she was six. Now she is 26. She is a porter, means a delivery girl. Under the banner of this job, she smuggles contraband too. Her father is a devoted Muslim. But their relationship has issues. They don't live together. The only thing she wants now is money for a reason.
She is likeable and not likeable at the same time for me. There were some places in which I didn't like her inappropriate attitude. Like, how the hell a woman can even say those things?! So my point is, her character has some weaknesses. Not very well written by him. Maybe he did this on purpose because of the fact that Artemis has no laws, no rules. Everyone lives according to their own wish. So there is nobody to judge you or tell you what's appropriate or not. Moreover, she wants to be independent and free. She doesn't want to be under her father's control. And her mother had died when she was six.

OVERVIEW
One day, she is being offered to do the most dangerous work for a million slug (kind of money in Artemis). No matter how much dangerous the job is, she will do it. 'Cause the money is too huge to decline.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
》In some places, the use of too much profanity was really annoying for me. It felt forced rather than natural to me. There shouldn't be profanity in every matter here. It should be limited. In The Martian this fact was understandable and seems very natural but here it didn't work that good.

(view spoiler)
Except for this one thing, the entire book is amazing! And a must-read for the lovers of The Martian. There wasn't too much duct tape here. Instead, there was too much welding. 😅 But I didn't mind it. I loved it.

If you haven't read The Martian, I would still recommend this book. The blend of amazing science with the plot here is worth reading.

23 November, 2017

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

November 18, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 –
November 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: full-lengths

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Maryam I'm on hold on this book :(

Ahmed  Ejaz Maryam wrote: "I'm on hold on this book :("

Oh! You should read it soon. It's a good book. And the science here is mind-blowing!!

Maryam I know, so many books to read and end of the year do n't match well together :(

Ahmed  Ejaz Maryam wrote: "I know, so many books to read and end of the year do n't match well together :("

Yeah! I can understand. Hope you will get to it soon! ^^