Kirstie Ellen's Reviews > The Cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

bookshelves: fae, fantasy, young-adult

Thanks to Allen & Unwin for providing my a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
Ahhh I was so satisfied with this book. I loved every page of it and all the adventure, betrayal and mishaps that happen along the way. I will certainly be continuing this series and I can’t wait to see how things unfold next!!

The Cruel Prince
The Cruel Prince is a masterpiece of a novel and I will never doubt that Holly Black has a knack for writing faerie stories. Having read one other of her novels previously, The Darkest Part of the Forest and loved it, I had high expectations for this one.

The story takes place in the fae world which exists alongside the human world. After some shocking circumstances, our main character, Jude, and her two sisters - one of which is half-fae - find themselves whisked away into the world of faerie and brought up but a particularly blood thirsty step-father.

Jude and her twin sister Taryn struggle to fit in being mortals raised like the gentry of the fae (which neeever happens) and they get bullied by others all the time. Jude, however, is strong and feisty character who knows her weaknesses and still strives to be as good as the fae and to have power.

It's a story full of self-exploration - seeing how far you can push yourself and how much you'll put up with - a tale of mystery, espionage, sword fighting and magic. It's intriguing, it's fun, it's addictive and if you love the fae you need to read this. Nobody tricks each other and lays blame like the fae.

Why It Was Brilliant
What I thought was so fantastic about this book was how it manages to be something a little different from any other faerie story I've read before, whilst still sticking to familiar items. By this I mean that the types of fae we see are familiar, traditional sorts - but the story follows a human who is and has been for a long time fully integrated into their world.

We don't suffer through any longer explanations of how this fantastical world works; we are thrust into it swords flailing and retorts hot on ours tongues. I loved the spirit of Jude and how tormented she was - the way her character sees the world and her determination to gain power was something I loved. This isn't a story about someone who just wants to fit in, this is a story about someone who wants power and influence. And I guess I just loved the honesty of this. Jude isn't lying to herself about what she wants: she knows exactly what she wants.

The best bit about the story is the mystery of it all. We know everyone is going behind everyone's backs. And I knew what I wanted to happen and was thrilled when the storyline continued down that path. I loved the spy work that happened, the secret messages, the toying of the fae and the general not knowing what exactly is going to go down. It keeps you on your toes and is a delight to read and discover.

The Ending?
I simply have to have a little spoiler discussion here! So expand the tab if you want to read my thoughts on how the events of the story unravelled.

(view spoiler)

Summary
In short, I cannot wait to see where the sequel of this goes. I so enjoyed reading it and only wish I'd picked it up sooner! It was a real gritty fae story that had the perfect number of deceits and cloak and dagger action happening to do the fantastical story justice. I'm certain this is going to be one of my favourite fantasy series involving the fae!

Happy reading!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cruel Prince.

November 18, 2017 – Shelved
August 29, 2018 –
page 250
August 30, 2018 –
page 320
86.49% "Everything is turning out just how I want it 😬😬"
August 30, 2018 –