Matthew Barrett's Reviews > Heir of Novron

Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan

I'm writing for the whole series (which I listened to on audio book, so it took a long time to get here).
Let me get the negative out of the way. This is definitely a series that was less sophisticated than I'm used to reading, with fairly predictable and generic plots and simple language. There's some more tell than show, especially when it comes to telling us how able Royce and Hadrian are instead of showing us. And it was hard to feel really close to the characters, even when something happened and someone died. Other things didn't make much sense, even when wrapped up at the end. The death of one major character and even the prison holding Ezra Hardin were examples of that. And then there was the withholding of information for no real reason that just got frustrating. Another was the search for a single heir after 1000 years. Come on, there would be multiple descendants. (view spoiler)
So it took some getting used to, but once I let go of preconceived notions and just sat back, I enjoyed it more. The bromance is probably the best part of these books, even if the characters could have been developed better. A late romance doesn't do nearly as much for me as the relationship Hadrian and Royce have. The plot is pretty basic, using the evil empire/church, but at least there were some fun, if predictable parts. At least the author didn't completely blast religion like most books do nowadays. I also liked how I didn't have to worry about much swearing, sex, or gritty violence. Sometimes I just want to read a book to get uplifted, not develop a hatred for humanity like I do when reading GRRM. I read Age of Myth before this and so had a few minor spoilers for the end, but it was interesting to see the connection.
This is definitely more young adult than adult fiction, but if you have the right expectations, it can be fun. I also recommend the audiobooks, the voice actor does a good job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir of Novron.

Started Reading