JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)'s Reviews > Altered to Death

Altered to Death by Christina Freeburn

bookshelves: mysteries, supense

Faith Hunter, co-owner of Scrap This scrapbooking store (along with her two grandmothers) is preparing for her wedding to homicide Detective Ted Roget. She's also working on a town scrapbook, so has been busy. When one of her employees, Sierra Brodart, asks Faith if she can stop by her mother-in-law's home and pick up a box that might be useful to the project, Faith reluctantly agrees.

But while there, Georgia Brodart tells Faith that her late husband Edward was murdered, because he knew that Georgia was related to the Evertons and had a diary for proof. Faith at first believes she might just be having delusions, but when Georgia's son Hank shows up - Sierra's husband - and becomes angry that Faith is even there, she begins to wonder.

Meanwhile, the Buford brothers, Wayne and Wyatt, are renovating the Everton home for the town Historical Society. But while Faith is there to pick up items that might be useful to her project, one of their workers digs up a skull in the yard. After calling the police, it's determined that it's a crime scene and work has to stop. To make matters worse, Faith's ex-boyfriend Steve Davis shows up with a court order stopping work indefinitely because, as he tells them, the house has a potential heir.

It seems the Everton family picked up and left Eden almost a hundred years ago, and no one knows why. There were rumors, of course, and Faith, always curious by nature, isn't about to let something as an old skull stop her from getting to the truth. With the help of Wyatt, she's going to find out - if she can- who the bones might belong to, and who the rightful heir is. Georgia is claiming she is, and her sons Hank - who hates Faith - and Matthew agree. But Faith isn't so sure.

When Faith starts searching for the truth, things start heating up. The closer she gets to finding the answers she's looking for, the closer she gets to digging her own grave. And if she's not careful, it won't matter who the rightful heir is, because she won't be around to find out...

I absolutely loved this book. The plot was well thought out, well-written and intriguing. A nearly hundred-year-old mystery and old bones, both connected, both tied to the present day; it was done so well you really didn't even notice that there wasn't a present-day murder to solve until you finished the book. (Although there were a few close calls, of course).

Merging the past with the present has always been a favorite of mine in books; probably because I love history so much (even fictional history) and enjoy seeing it woven together in stories both real and imagined. This book brought those two together in a very pleasing way, and I think it is my favorite out of all the Faith Hunter books I've read.

Ms. Freeburn is indeed a talented writer who continues to give us an entertaining mystery to fill our time, and her books never disappoint. When the ending comes and the mystery is solved, it is twofold - for we know all along (for the most part) where most of the mystery lies; but the ending was satisfying all around. I look forward to the next in the series. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered to Death.

Finished Reading