Rebekah Teller's Reviews > The Fifth Empire of Man

The Fifth Empire of Man by Rob J. Hayes

bookshelves: favorites

Your favorite pirate captains from Where Loyalties Lie are back, as well as the vile ones you hate! Drake, Elaina, Keelin, and Tanner continue their efforts to save the Pirate Isles from obliteration.

While Drake and Tanner fortify local resources, Elaina and Keelin sail separate ways to rally allies in other regions. Things don't go quite as expected, and what's a pirate journey without a detour quest for ancient, hidden treasure?

This book was extremely difficult to put down and I often ignored sleep and other assorted responsibilities for the sake of reading further. I sunk into this sequel easily and felt fully immersed in the experience.

The final sea battle is intense, with plenty of nail-biting moments and unexpected reveals. The start of the battle loudly proclaims that no character is safe, leaving the reader on edge through the entire sequence.

I knew what I wanted for the characters and I wasn't sure if they'd be able to get there, but it ended exactly right. I'm so satisfied with everything thrown at them and how they stumbled through it. I was pleasantly surprised by how many complex threads the author resolved in this relatively short series. The story brings a wonderful sense of closure topped off with an unexpected lead into what I'm guessing is a future series to come.

If you're looking for an exciting pirate war adventure with traitors, explosions, and heart, this duology is a must!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Empire of Man.

November 17, 2017 – Shelved
November 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 16, 2018 – Started Reading
February 20, 2018 –
February 21, 2018 –
February 23, 2018 –
32.0% "Don't do it! Don't help him! Don't be a sell out!"
February 23, 2018 –
50.0% "Hmmm, sounds like Drake needs to watch his back. Like, even more than usual."
February 25, 2018 –
February 26, 2018 –
74.0% "!!!!! Well, at least things aren't getting any easier."
February 26, 2018 –
85.0% "It hurts to stop here but it also hurts to keep my eyes open. Must sleep. Argh!!!"
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites