Dianne Ascroft's Reviews > Love and Other Hazards

Love and Other Hazards by Claudia Riess

Nov 17, 2017

This contemporary romance, with its unique and captivating set of characters, is witty and poignant at the same time. Its realistic treatment of issues of modern life makes it a believable, satisfying read.

The main character, Glenda, is a determinedly single modern woman who doesn’t lie and views sex as merely a physical function. As the story progresses, and the author reveals the reason for Glenda’s unwillingness to commit to a monogamous relationship, the reader can’t help but root for the strong, yet vulnerable character. Glenda’s emotional journey hooks the reader and draws her through the story, on a tempestuous route that eventually arrives at a satisfying conclusion.

Although I spend most of my time with characters from an earlier era, I thoroughly enjoyed this refreshing change of perspective. The story is complex and there isn’t an absolute, black and white solution to every quandary, but it’s an uplifting affirmation of the indomitable nature of the human spirit. I heartily recommend it to readers who enjoy a good story, even if they aren’t fans of love stories. Spend a few hours with Glenda and Eugene. It’ll be worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Other Hazards.

11/17 marked as: read