04shelbyr's Reviews > Proof

Proof by David Auburn

Oct 03, 2011

This play struck me as a modern tragedy, to be honest. All tragedies have a tragic hero, which in this play would be Catherine, in my opinion. Catherine would be the tragic hero because she has spent many years taking care of her unstable father. Her father wouldn’t need taking care of if he wasn’t unstable due to mathematics. The author tells Catherine’s story by giving very little detail to what they are doing/talking about. Sometimes you get a full explanation as to what Catherine is talking about, other times you get one to three word statements. It really doesn’t explain a whole lot about her situation.
Claire on the other hand was a character who struck me as a controlling parent even though she is Catherine’s older sister. I have noticed in many situations with siblings that the older siblings always take control of the younger ones. Claire wants to help Catherine in her own little way. Claire doesn’t see that she is making Catherine’s situation worse. All Catherine wants to do is stay in Chicago where she can be with the old house of her father’s and maybe have a relationship with Hal, a former student of their father.
I do indeed plan to read more of David Auburn’s plays. He is a very interesting author to read even though he does confuse me sometimes. This story made me feel pity on Catherine for having to take care of her father. I don’t mean that in a bad way. David Auburn makes the character Catherine to be a very strong independent woman. She can take core of not only herself, but people around her as well. She has a major attitude but it’s expected of someone like her. She cares about her father so much that she gave up part of her life to make sure he is taken care of. I honestly didn’t understand why she didn’t put him in a mental stability center.
A big lesson I received from this play was that family comes first. A person will do anything to care for a family member. It was a great play to read, honestly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proof.

October 3, 2011 – Started Reading