Aaron West's Reviews > The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs

The Sin of Certainty by Peter Enns

liked it

Had I read this book a few years ago while I was still in school, or even having just left, the book would have gotten an easy 4 (I really liked it) stars. Since I've already gone through the process of rethinking and retooling my way of faith in light of "adulthood," much of what Enns speaks about in this book is not new or foreign to me.

So with a solid 3 (I liked it) stars, The Sin of Certainty stands as yet another important stop along my journey to challenge myself and explore the modes of belief and trust (as is emphasized in this book) that don't necessarily align with what I was told, shown, or taught (implicitly or explicitly) as a child/young adult. This book could be vitally useful—no—even necessary to anyone who grew up in a more rigid form of evangelical Christianity.

Peter Enns doesn't come at any mode of thought or tradition in disrespect, nor does he force his ideas in grand gestures of arrogance (in fact, he does the opposite, almost reassuring the reader too much to a fault, in my opinion). You can tell he truly cares about his readers and their relationships with God and the church. Maybe at times too repetitive with similar ideas, broken up by sub-chapters within chapters (all very short, mind you), and rife with Enns's telltale Dad Humor, the book might come off as a tad trite to the most cynically minded. But for the rest, this book could function as a life raft.

In this book, Enns explores the necessary function of faith as trust in God rather than simply a series of right beliefs and intellectual defenses that fall prey to stagnation and the brittle insecurity of rigid dogma. The process of relying more on trust rather than the insistence of correctness is Enns's hope for each reader—in addition to a desire for those in Christ to see struggles, questioning, intellectual integrity, and doubt as functions of a healthy faith, not a dying one on the slippery slope to atheism/agnosticism. Our relationship with God must be able to handle the harder parts of existence, and not with platitudes, battle-imagery in the service of a "strong faith," and a closing ourselves off to the mystery and transcendence of God, but to a surrender, a self-sacrificing, self-giving love.

This book is quick, easy to read, and one that I would recommend to anyone who takes their relationship with God seriously.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sin of Certainty.

November 17, 2017 – Shelved