Sarah's Reviews > The Proposition

The Proposition by Elizabeth Hayley

4.5 stars - I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a sweet, fun and easy read. The premise is a little bit Pretty Woman. The idea of a professional athlete hiring an escort for a wedding may not very plausible but it does make for a good story.

Ben and Ryan are a great combination. Ryan’s background has made her a survivor and she’s been caring for herself from a very young age. Ben comes from privilege and his biggest worry is his family’s disapproval of his hockey career. These two connect immediately on a physical an emotional level but they really don’t understand each other’s worlds. Ryan’s reactions to Ben’s casual entitlement are brilliant.

The angst in this book feels contrived at times. There are several secrets in this story and some of them feel unnecessary - they’re only introduced to create or draw out conflict between Ryan and Ben. I really enjoyed Ben’s family and I loved Ryan’s friend, Camille.

As in the first book, the friendship between Ben, Gabe and Jace is really special. As their lives diverge, these three spend less time together. I found Ben’s sadness at the loss of some of the closeness really moving.

I love that the story and the characters are completely different from those in the first book. On the surface, a cocktail waitress and a doctor might have very little in common but Ryan and Ally are both wonderfully strong women and they are both women worth getting to know.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proposition.

Finished Reading