Shinji Nishida's Reviews > Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Oct 03, 2011

what a lovely story this is! I love this book and it became one of my favorite book.
I could see Opal's growth on p99-100. She could get to care about others because of Winn-Dixie by understanding his fear toward thunderstorms. She could understand the meaning of Winn-Dixie's behavior for Miss Franny and then she could also care about Gloria Dump. She decided to read her a book out loud to comfort her. I like the scean.
On p78, I noticed that I was standing on Opal's perspective and hoping same thing as Opal's expectation. I was so glad that her father was already trying to keep him safe. Moreover, i felt how important descriptions of behavior are, not only words characters say. "putting his arm around Winn-Dixie" implys his heart very well.
I like Chapter 17 and I think it is very important chapter. She noticed that people who feel sadness were not only her, but also everyone. After that, she tried to understand and share other's sadness and try to find hope or enjoyment in "their" life, not only "her" life. The candy, "Littmus Lozenge" plays very important role in this story. "What he was going to do was concentrate on putting something sweet in it."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Winn-Dixie.