Jennifer's Reviews > The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan

May 08, 2008

What I learned from this book is that you don't have to have a perfect life to be happy. Evelyn Ryan chooses to be happy in spite of numerous trials and setbacks, which would turn someone like me into a bitter old woman. Reading this book made me think that if she could raise her 10 children under her circumstances without regret, then maybe I can do a little better with my three kids, and keep a more positive outlook.

I also love the writing in this book, both Terry and Evelyn's writing! I am reminded of my aunt, who has an amazing vocabulary and a talent for poetry and witty phrases. I wish I had a little more of that ability!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio.

Laura Jennifer,
Ditto what you said! I have 3 children also and Evelyn's daily persistence helped me adjust my perspective. Just finished the book in December.

Julie I totally thought of Jane too. Have someone recommended this to her already?