karen's Reviews > Sorry

it was ok
bookshelves: icky-sex
Read from October 03 to 05, 2011

sorry, no.

but the people that froth over The Girl With the Dragon Tattoowill likely find something to appreciate here. this has all the same over-the-top violence and sexual abuse coupled with characters i can't seem to give a damn for with many branching storylines that eventually converge in a way that seems overplotted.

so, very reminiscent of that book, to which i gave three stars, but which the more i think about, the less i actually feel it deserves. violence doesn't bother me - i am one of the people who liked American Psycho. in fact, i borrowed this from work because the cover flap started thusly:

One. Two. Three. That’s all it takes to drive the nail into her head, to leave her hanging on the wall. She deserved to die. Now all he needs is absolution for his sins, and he knows just the people who can help.

and i was all "woohoo!!" because i am sick. and i thought that would be funny to read. but all of it is written very earnestly, without any sense of humor, so what's the point? it isn't entertaining. it isn't even boring in a way that makes you uncomfortable, like funny games. it is just an unthrilling thriller with a lot of violence and characters who seem to have difficulty adapting to their situation, and making all the wrong moves.

especially frauke - because seriously - how did you expect that was going to end any other way?? oops, girl.

these characters do the darndest things, and it is frustrating to read this book, as a human being. if this were a movie, you would all be shuussssshing me because i would be yelling "what are you doing that for?? are you daft?? why would you think that was a good idea??" over and over.

or maybe you wouldn't, because you would probably also hate the movie. and you would share your raisinets with me in solidarity.

this makes two two-star books in a row, and that makes me grumpy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorry.

message 1: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine yay!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna the next one will work out. I can feel it. (rooting for you)

karen i'm going to read a book by an author i already like, and hope they will not fail me!!.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna That's what I do after a 2-star hat trick. I go to something reliable until I'm ready to adventure again.

karen i need some book TLC...

message 6: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine is there any likelihood I will like this more than you?

read ultraviolet it is book crack... not really but I think you'll like it.

message 7: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Oct 05, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! Maybe you didn't like it because it's translated. Perhaps if you read Traurig in the original German?

karen hahahha such a good point!

jazz - mmmm i don't know, maybe? i was frustrated when it came to character motivation, but it might bother you less. i like people to behave, if not rationally, at least in a way that i can understand from their perspective, and this one didn't deliver that for me, but you don't have the same hang-ups as me.

karen oh, and i am going to read that YA book.

message 10: by Christin (new)

Christin How does one nail someone through the head? What type of nail?

karen a reeeeeally big one. thunk!

message 12: by Christin (new)

Christin Oh ok. I'm not looking to procure one or anything, just curious.

karen sure, sure...

the internet never forgets.

Tegghiaio I just picked up this book and I really disliked The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, never understood all the fuss about it :-/. Let's see how it goes because I already had a big let down with Feed by Mira Grant.

karen oh, come back and tell me about it - or tell me when you write a review so i can read it. i am interested in someone else's opinion.

Tegghiaio Hi there, it's me again. I finished the book last night, I gave it 3 stars just because I love bad movies but I totally agree with your review. I even laughed out loud with the Frauke thing (Seriously girl? Come on!)

People giving 4 or 5 stars to this book really need to discover better authors.

I wrote a long review but it's in my language. You won't be missing much anyway since I covered basically the same points.

karen oddly enough, i am actually reading feed right now, which you mentioned earlier in the thread. this coincidence is spoooooky. in any language.

message 18: by Chip (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chip OK, I'm with you. I liked it (not love, but was certainly intrigued) and expected it all to come together in the end - wonderfully, and [emphasis] sensibly. Well, damnit, it didn't.

karen sensibly.

that is a perfect word for what this is not

message 20: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Ingall i do a web site called SorryWatch and was going to review this. NOT NOW. i am a delicate flower. thanks for the heads-up!

karen oh, yeah, definitely not for the delicate!