emma's Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: classics, dark, library, literary-fiction, mystery-thriller-horror-etc, non-ya, 4-stars, recommend, reviewed

I’m pretty astounded by how much fun this was.

I mean, this may be just me, but “early-to-mid-twentieth century mystery about train crime” doesn’t exactly scream nonstop thrill ride. But here we are!

I’m also not sure why it took me so long to write this review (two months, to be exact, so actually not that long for me but still) but again, here we are.

I don’t actually really want to say much on this book, which is astounding in its own right because my number one hobby is making up various excuses for me to wax romantic on various subjects and generally listen to myself.

But! In this case, that would be bad. Because a lot of the rad-ness of this book is due to the twist, but the Last Thing I Ever Want To Do is spoil this twist for you. Maybe this book will not sound fun because of my saintly consideration of your twist enjoyment, but you should just tuck away in your head that it’s completely cool ok???

Let’s discuss the very limited number of things I won’t feel bad about disclosing.

For one thing, the way this is constructed is very fun?? It takes you through the thought process of Hercule Poirot (Extremely Cool Belgian Detective - capitalized due to its being his official, government-ordained title) as he analyzes the sitch. So it kind of feels like you’re a detective too, and if that’s not the dream I don’t know what is.

If you can look me in the eyes (but please don’t, I’d like to keep these relationships strictly internet-based thanks) and tell me you wouldn’t drop everything immediately in order to become a detective and/or international spy full time, you are not someone I’m interested in knowing thanks.

Agatha Christie’s writing style is also really sharp and clean (which I can detect but nevereverever apply to myself, apparently). That’s probably why her books aged so well. This one definitely did, at least.

I think some people were rubbed the wrong way (horrific expression my apologies) by the constant discussion of race/nationality as an inherent and generalized part of people’s individual psychology. That would’ve upset me, probably, if it weren’t applied to e v e r y b o d y. Like, if white people got the easy way out, one, what else would be new, and two, that would be the worst ever.

Instead, every point of origin mentioned (Africa, England, America, France) is given its own psychoanalytic significance. Which is honestly interesting to read about, if only from a historical standpoint.

Are you guys proud of me for how well I remembered this book after two months??? I am visibly prouder of myself for remembering three things about a novel I genuinely enjoyed than most scientists are after major breakthroughs.

Which is incredibly on-brand for me.

Bottom line: Quick fun historical well-written! I could’ve replaced this whole review with those adjectives and been much more convincing.

---------------
PRE-REVIEW

THAT WAS AMAZING THAT WAS AMAZING THAT WAS AMAZING!

(I hope you read that in Aziz Ansari's voice. Reevaluate your life if otherwise.)

review to come yo

---------------
CURRENTLY-READING UPDATE

my hobbies include: hopping on bandwagons

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Petrik (new)

Petrik I really should join this hobby once in a while.. xD enjoy Emma!

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel Anie Happy reading, Emma! Looking forward to your review.

emma Mel wrote: "Happy reading, Emma! Looking forward to your review."

ty!!!

emma Petrik wrote: "I really should join this hobby once in a while.. xD enjoy Emma!"

i highly recommend

message 5: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark always better than falling off the wagon 🍾

emma Mark wrote: "always better than falling off the wagon 🍾"

a reassuring point

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz You’re not alone. I just added the audiobook to my library wishlist.

Terry I have a seat on that wagon myself right now also. Hope you enjoy!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

well whose other fucking voice would i read it in

Aiyah A Well crafted book. However, this book is full of a racial tone amongst many characters, which left me very offended😑

message 11: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Liz wrote: "You’re not alone. I just added the audiobook to my library wishlist."

hope you enjoy!!!

message 12: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Terry wrote: "I have a seat on that wagon myself right now also. Hope you enjoy!"

it's a great wagon!

message 13: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Aiyah wrote: "A Well crafted book. However, this book is full of a racial tone amongst many characters, which left me very offended😑"

yes, it was written from the perspective that someone's country of origin and gender determined a lot of their personality, which is obviously bullsh*t. it would have bothered me more if that were just true of certain groups (especially traditionally marginalized ones), but since it was universal to the narrative it didn't bug me so significantly

message 14: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma theo ☂ wrote: "well whose other fucking voice would i read it in"

CORRECT RESPONSE

James Joyce Yes, I quite enjoyed this one.

I like Agatha Christie's sleuths on boat and train journeys, for some reason. And I frequently end up wishing I could take those journeys.

...minus the murders, of course.

message 16: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma James wrote: "Yes, I quite enjoyed this one.

...minus the murders, of..."

although the murders would add some intrigue

message 17: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare Snow I know you're not often wrong, but Poirot is from BELGIUM. He hammers this point often, but I haven't read Orient Express in a while, so maybe he's too busy sleuthing in the snow.

I'm in the middle of a Christie binge and the racism, sexism, every -ism you can think of just about kills me, and then I pick up another to read :-)

message 18: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Clare wrote: "I know you're not often wrong, but Poirot is from BELGIUM. He hammers this point often, but I haven't read Orient Express in a while, so maybe he's too busy sleuthing in the snow.

I'm in the middl..."

WOW you're so right! i think it's that his destination is Paris in this book that made me write french??? you are smarter than me for all time forever. not a difficult level to reach but congrats all the same.

this is still the only one of hers i've read!! but i definitely want to get to some more

message 19: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Mann Finally a book you enjoyed - 3 cheers for Emma. Hip hip horray 😂! Great review x

Vanessa It's definitely in my Top5 Poirot books (in no particular order: this one, Death on the Nile, Five Little Pigs, Evil Under the Sun and Lord Edgeware Dies/Thirteen at Dinner) and even while not sharing my sister's gift of always forgetting who the murderer was in literally everything, I still enjoy it (and the movie adaptions).

message 21: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Vanessa wrote: "It's definitely in my Top5 Poirot books (in no particular order: this one, Death on the Nile, Five Little Pigs, Evil Under the Sun and Lord Edgeware Dies/Thirteen at Dinner) and even while not shar..."

tucking away that list for future reference

message 22: by emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

emma Zoe wrote: "Finally a book you enjoyed - 3 cheers for Emma. Hip hip horray 😂! Great review x"

i too am endlessly impressed w/ myself for basic enjoyment