Sheri's Reviews > Every Man Dies Alone

Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada

Oct 03, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Fallada (a pseudonym) wrote this novel at the end of 1946, not long after the end of WWII in Germany. It's based in significant part on a true story of an older married German couple who decide during the war that they oppose Hitler & Naziism. To avoid being complicit in the evils taking place, they embark on a plan to write & then drop off secretly in public places postcards that revile Hitler and his policies. Rather than give away what happens next, I'll let you decide whether to read this. So let me tantalize you further. There are numerous fascinating characters -- all well developed, and whose back stories & motivations Fallada supplies. Many of them, even the minor characters, are as fascinating as the old couple who are the main subject of Fallada's novel. As you follow them all through the book, you are with them wherever they go, seeing & experiencing what they see and experience. The translation must be superb because the writing is brilliant. I totally LOVED this book. And FYI, the original German title means "everyone" dies alone, not every "man."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Man Dies Alone.

07/28/2017 marked as: read