Felicia's Reviews > Grave Witch

Grave Witch by Kalayna Price

bookshelves: vaginal-urban-fantasy, urban-paranormal

VERY rarely do I pick up a book and stay up until 2am reading so that I feel gross and tired all day the next day and I don't regret it one bit. This book did that to me last night, so yay I think? :)

I pick up EVERY urban fantasy novel lately with huge skepticism, because it's like someone wrote a how-to book everyone uses called "how to mix vampires and werewolves and sassy heroines together! Watch them make out too!" I mean, SO formulaic. That's why it's really tough for me to buy into a world that mixes paranormal and reality in that perfect escapist way we all crave, but for some reason this did it for me!

I really enjoyed the world and the plot and the characters. That's all. First, NO VAMPS! It's all faerie and witches. The witch magic was really interesting and has the potential to be filled out in interesting ways. Second, the main character is NOT really mouthy and wounded, she has a relatable POV without being boring, which is super hard to do, she has functional friend relationships...yay. The secondary characters are slow-played, added to the main character's life in a believable way, just a nice mixture that was fun. And then THIRD, the love interests were...REALLY HUNKY IN A NOT GROSS ALPHA WAY AND I LOVE THEM! Yay!

I mean, let's be clear, this book doesn't re-invent the wheel of urban fantasy, but it does what we expect well and that's all I wanted! So immediately reading the next one. Hope I don't stay up too late and feel icky again like I do today. It will probably happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Witch.

Started Reading
October 3, 2011 – Shelved
October 3, 2011 – Shelved as: vaginal-urban-fantasy
October 3, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-paranormal
October 3, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

Nancy Meservier You've convinced me! I will be checking this out.

Sara This is awesome. Thanks for the write-up!

Riana Elizabeth On that review I'll be checking it out. Normally the term "grave witch" would make me wary (thinking a close copy of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake character), but you've convinced me!

message 4: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle Added to my "to read" and looking forward to it!

Faber06 The follow up book(s) are just as good.

Alisha Jones Felicia, you've nailed the genera that I myself have been tired of too. If it's as refreshing as u say it is I'm excited to read it!

Elena I love this one too. The sequel isn't quite as great, in my opinion, but I'm still excited about the series over all. Can't wait for #3!

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Revell I have added this to my list of books to read. Have you read The Dresden Files? Easily the best urban fantasy I have ever read!

Jenn I liked this book a lot, but I'll second Elena with the feeling that the 2nd book in the series wasn't as good. Liked the ending on book 2. Definitely looking forward to the third.

Cristy Emmnm I am currently reading this...though I have to wait to keep going till I get a few grad papers out. Good to know you rated it so highly!

Sandy Williams I thoroughly enjoyed this book, too! You might want to check out KINDLING THE MOON by Jenn Bennett. That's another non-vamp urban fantasy that has a relatable heroine and a great non-chest beating hero. In fact, the guy is one of my favorite UF heroes. Very well developed and pretty unique in the genre.

message 12: by Edward (new) - added it

Edward Do you think this would be a good book to listen to?

Felicia Sandy wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed this book, too! You might want to check out KINDLING THE MOON by Jenn Bennett. That's another non-vamp urban fantasy that has a relatable heroine and a great non-chest beating ..."

Thanks for the recc, I'll definitely get it!

Felicia Edward wrote: "Do you think this would be a good book to listen to?"
I've litereally never listened to an audio book so I'm sorry I can't say! I'm a more visual person than anything.

message 15: by Tiff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiff I do a lot of audio books because I can listen to them at work, and honestly I think the reader didn't have an understanding of the main character. I have had books come alive to me in ways I never thought they could because a reader was so good, but in this case I think I would have actually liked Alex better if I had read her and come up with her attitude and personality in my own mind. The voice of Alex Craft just wasn't right and sounded immature and not so intelligent when read aloud by this particular reader. It really made what sounded like a good book, based on Felicia Day's review, end up not living up to what I had expected. I'm going to have to give it some time and actually read it with my eyes in a few months.

Felicia Tiff wrote: "I do a lot of audio books because I can listen to them at work, and honestly I think the reader didn't have an understanding of the main character. I have had books come alive to me in ways I neve..."
Oooh sorry about that Tiff, yeah I don't do a lot of audio books so I can't tell about that. I'm a much more visual person so audio books can't keep up with how fast I read for sure!

Diane Hicks Ordered this one today. Thanks for the great reviews - I've never me you, of course, but I trust you to help pick my next reads :-) Isn't the Internet a wonderful place - how it's changed life and reduced the distances/barriers!

message 18: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara I should have listened when you said it was a stay-up-way-too-late read. Too good to stop! It was worth the jaw cracking yawns, although I hold you partially responsible for recommending it in the first place ;)

Beshemoth I read this book to be part of your super cool book club (no sarcasm, I swear!) and really really enjoyed it. I read the next in the series already and can't wait for the next one! Like you said, this book is not reinventing the wheel, but the glimpses into faerie were pretty cool and i liked the characters. The fact that Alex maintains intimate friendships is quite refreshing, as is her humor.... plus I cant wait for more Falin. :)) Thanks for recommending it!

Riana Elizabeth Will wrote: "I have added this to my list of books to read. Have you read The Dresden Files? Easily the best urban fantasy I have ever read!"

Ooh, Dresden Files! Love that series!

message 21: by Jarrod (new) - added it

Jarrod I started reading this a couple of days ago after reading your review of it and I have to say I'm enjoying it so much! Looking forward to reading the rest of them once I've finished.

Melissa J. Katano Felicia, based on your review, added these to my Nook...wow! Ripped right through them! Kalayna Price, if you're reading this, you better type faster, girl! I NEED to know what happens next!

Jen (NerdifiedJen) Yes! Why do paranormal romance heroines never have friends? Sookie? No friends. Mercy? I guess she has work friends, but everyone else is a potential love interest!

I loved that Alex has friends and roommates.

Wendy Powell-Thorpe I read this after watching Vaginal Fantasy #1, thank you so much, I loved this book a lot and the very last line had me in stitches. I'm just torn now whether to watch the second VF or read the second Grave Witch novel.

message 25: by A (new)

A Love this review <3

Stesha Already 2 chapters in, I like it. With any luck the magic element will be more flushed out in even more interesting ways. In fact I gravitated towards the book primarily for the magic/witch element in the book. So I'm looking forward to binge reading it for the remainder of this week and some of next week too

message 27: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Williams You had me at "NO VAMPS" (thank god) and then further convinced me with the main character not being an in your face strong independent female and also the "not gross alpha way" hunks (I'm assuming that means not dripping testosterone/overly possessive/can't allow another male in the same room as his lady interest). This book is probably next on my list. Thanks for listing off the positives for me!!