megs_bookrack's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

Jazz Bashara lives on Artemis, a moon colony with its own social structure and commerce. Jazz, estranged from her father, has been making ends meet by functioning as a smuggler for the black market economy.

Mostly hustling smaller items, one day a very rich man makes Jazz an offer she can't refuse.

What follows is a story of girl trying to make up for past mistakes and trying to survive the best she can, with a little corporate sabotage sprinkled in.

I really enjoyed this book. The world that Weir created. When you are reading about Artemis, it's hard to remember that it doesn't exist. It seemed real and the science is feasible, so A++. The details were described so well -- just a delightful scifi light story. ((applause))

Additionally, the characters all really worked for me. I loved Jazz. She's super flawed but seriously trying her best and every once in a while, you just have to throw caution to the wind and say, f* it. I liked her attitude and I think she really came full circle over the course of the story.

I guess it is important to note that I have not read The Martian yet and frankly, I'm glad. I know a lot of folks read that first and then didn't enjoy this as much. Now I think when I finally do get around to The Martian it will impress me even more, and trust me, that is still on the TBR.

I would definitely recommend this to any scifi fans out there who haven't read it yet.

Who are we kidding though?
I am probably the only one left on planet Earth who hadn't gotten to it yet!

I am happy to be crossing it off my backlist and thank my TBR Jar for making me read it!

P.S. This could translate into a fantastic, fast-paced movie! Please do, Hollywood. Please do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

November 15, 2017 – Shelved
April 22, 2019 –
page 30
May 2, 2019 –
page 47
15.41% "I like the way Jazz does business.
Relatable.

I'm sorry. I can't do that. It's against everything I believe in.
$1,000,000.
I'm in."
May 3, 2019 –
page 72
May 8, 2019 –
page 88
28.85% "I can't be the only person who really wants a 'Hibby' now..."
May 9, 2019 –
page 202
66.23% ""
May 19, 2019 –
page 229
75.08% "This would make a really great movie 📽🎬📸📺"
May 20, 2019 –
page 272
89.18% "Dammmmmmn!
That took a turn for the worse that I wasn't expecting.
So stressful but I have to try to fall asleep now...

😣😫😔😌😴😴😴😴"
May 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Rachel Hope you love this as much as I did!

Karen’s Library I loved the print copy, but then listened to the audiobook and it was fantastic!!

megs_bookrack Rachel wrote: "Hope you love this as much as I did!"
Thank you, Rachel! I hope so too!

megs_bookrack Karen’s Library wrote: "I loved the print copy, but then listened to the audiobook and it was fantastic!!" That's awesome! I have the hard copy but am on hold for the audiobook from my library. I would like to check out both. I knew you would be a fan of this one, Karen! :) xo

Dennis How does your TBR jar work, Meg?

megs_bookrack Dennis wrote: "How does your TBR jar work, Meg?" I made it at the beginning of the year. Typed out little slips of paper with the titles of all the unread books I had on my shelves at the time. I pull two every month and pick one of those to read that month and both if I have time. Trying to get through some backlist titles! 😁

Dennis So it's an actual jar. Ha! Nice idea. I like it. :)

megs_bookrack Dennis wrote: "So it's an actual jar. Ha! Nice idea. I like it. :)" It sure is! A big one because I have A LOT of unread books sitting on my shelves ;)

Dennis Yeah, I would need quite some time to actually prepare that jar, too.

megs_bookrack Dennis wrote: "Yeah, I would need quite some time to actually prepare that jar, too."
It was an undertaking! hahaha

message 11: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Which book have you read so far this year that has stayed in your mind the most?

megs_bookrack Debbie wrote: "Which book have you read so far this year that has stayed in your mind the most?"
Ohhhh, that's a tough question. There have been a few I reflect back on a lot: Shadow of the Fox, The Silent Patient, They Both Die At the End, Baby Teeth, Wicked Saints, The Hate U Give.... I have seriously read a ton of good stuff this year. I feel very lucky!

message 13: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Awesome. I have a few of those books, maybe I should read them sooner vs. later.....

The two books that have stuck with me the most this year, so far, are: A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House & Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh.

Thanks for sharing.

megs_bookrack Debbie wrote: "Awesome. I have a few of those books, maybe I should read them sooner vs. later.....

I had never heard of either of those, Debbie! Glad to hear you enjoyed them so much. It is always nice when a book keeps popping up in your mind. I love reflecting back on different themes/plot points and that's also why I really enjoy rereading. Thanks for sharing!

message 15: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Valdez The audiobook narrated by Rosario Dawson has been calling to me. I don't use audiobooks and have read very mixed reviews about this novel but your awesome review buoyed my spirits, Meg. Terrific work!

megs_bookrack Joe wrote: "The audiobook narrated by Rosario Dawson has been calling to me. I don't use audiobooks and have read very mixed reviews about this novel but your awesome review buoyed my spirits, Meg. Terrific work!" Oh wow!! I had no idea Rosario Dawson narrated the audiobook. I may have to read it again via that format! :) Thanks, Joe.
It was fun and pretty quick. The scifi elements were well done but light so accessible to a wider audience than some more complex scifi would be. I hope you read it someday and I hope you enjoy it!