Sonia Almeida Dias's Reviews > The Beauties: Essential Stories

The Beauties by Anton Chekhov

bookshelves: netgalley

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher that have provided me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

One could argue that a short story book is not as fulfilling as a full novel, however it is enough to read this book to understand that they don't even compete in the same category. Chekhov creates a full book with snippets and insights, masterfully crafted around life in rural Russia in the end of the XIX century.

There's not really a story, or characters, however the book is full of situations, moments, people, whose sole purpose is to make us think and reflect, and be taken in the direction the author wishes. It is no surprise that Chekhov also excelled as a play writer, as we can clearly visualize all the scenarios and characters portrayed.

My 2 favourite short stories were "The Man in the Box" and "The Blunder" as they were such an accurate portrait of a certain type of people that we can find them everywhere in the world, be it Russia 1800's, or Portugal in the 2000's

Highly recommended to everyone who enjoys a good classical book.

Review in Portuguese below:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauties.

November 15, 2017 – Started Reading
November 15, 2017 – Shelved
November 16, 2017 –
page 38
16.89% "Only 38 pages in and already in love!"
November 28, 2017 – Finished Reading