MizzSandie's Reviews > The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Oct 03, 2011

bookshelves: well-written, favourite, loved-it, heartbreaking, laugh-giggle-snort, moved-me-deeply, own, put-life-in-perspective, didnt-want-it-to-end, re-read-worthy, profound, romance, you-re-doing-it-right, savouring-every-page, mind-blowing, good-story, cover-love, author-love-respect-admiration, movie-material, cant-stop-thinking-about-it, high-on-the-writing, boys-in-books-r-just-better, characters-i-d-like-to-meet, chrushing-on-fictional-characters, highly-quotable, i-reviewed-this, i-love-the-love, im-addicted-gimme-more, love-triangles, poetry, we-have-a-winner, friends-turned-lovers
Recommended for: Everyone into YA; Absolutely beautiful writing; romance; Someone who has lost and loved.
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

I would have easily given this book more than 5 stars if allowed. That's how good it is.

I strongly recommend everyone to start reading this as SOON as you possibly can (preferably now)! I pretty much read it in one sitting, (only stopping to sleep, eat, pee), I could not put the book down, and at the same time, at every page I turned, I was sad I was getting nearer the end. I didn't want it to end, ever. It was not just GOOD, it was absolutely unfreakingbelievably AMAZING!
I have fallen completely in love with this book, and already now I just want to re-read it, something I rarely ever want to do. I am completely blown away.
This book was made of spectacular from start to finish, completely reeled me in, and just got better and better. At no point (!) were there parts were I got bored, annoyed or impatient, on the contrary I only got more and more anxious and sad that I was getting to the end.

To begin with I fell for the writing which is phenomenal and a key factor for me. The other is story, obviously, and this book had both TO PERFECTION. It seems impossible, but all in all, it realy was just flawless, there is absolutely nothing I can put my finger on or would have changed. Only maybe for my own selfish reasons, to make it a little longer, but then again, I dont think I would ever tire or get enough and no amount of pages could be long enough, and there's a serious risk I would never return to my own life.

I don't think I have ever read a book like this, that I love so wholeheartedly, word by word, page by page. That in itself is a shockfactor to me, and I was struck by despair to see that there were no more Jandy Nelson books to lay my hands on, because I was already addicted, in love (demented, that is) by her writing, her characters and her worlds. This book captured me, making me want to live in it, with it, or more so, in Jandy Nelsons fantasy where beautiful words and stories spring from and awesome people like Joe (and all his Fontaine brothers), Lennie, Gram, Big, Toby, Sarah and Bailey are alive.
The way Nelson portrays characters and manages to make tham all so likeable (maybe except Rachel)is beyond me. I could vividly picture them all, and how they were thinking and feeling, despite this being a book written from first person perspective, and I felt so close to them the whole way through the book. Through Nelsons writing these characthers come alive, like I've very seldom experienced it.

The book main story is about Lennie dealing with the loss and pain of her sister's death and the way Nelson describes this grief and all the many many mixed and intense feelings that comes with it, is absolutely astounding. And she manages not just to convey Lennies grief but also Tobys and Gram's, so it makes you feel their aching loss, too. No review could ever do it justice trying to describe what it does to you, it has to be experienced, or in this case, read.
On top of dealing with this difficult subject in a heartfelt and beautiful way, Nelson throws in an EPIC romance story/triangle, that beats that of Wuthering Heights by far! (Lennies favourite lovestory often referenced to in the book. On this matter me and her has a difference of opinion though, but well, I don't agree with my friends on everything). How ironic, too, that this is the first book I start reading after finishing 'Wuthering Heights'!
Joe and Toby are both swoonworthy, making me want to relive my teenage days of young love. I completely understand the gaga over Joe, he is heartbreakingly awesome.
In the mix of the grief and the romance is a good amount of humour, and Nelson puts all of this together in a way that just WORKS. I wish for just a grain of her talent, because to be able to write like this, create stories like this, is surely a gift, that is rarely found, even among published writers, who sell tons of books.

To round off, I'll say again that I could not possibly write anything that fairly depicts any of these characters or their grief or the romance, or the journey it is to read this book, instead I recommend you go meet them and have them tell, or more like show you, their story, through Nelsons artful writing, and let yourself be lost in or swept away by it, like I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Is Everywhere.

Quotes MizzSandie Liked

Jandy Nelson
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

Jandy Nelson
“Life's a freaking mess. In fact, I'm going to tell Sarah we need to start a new philosophical movement: messessentialism instead of existentialism: For those who revel in the essential mess that is life. Because Gram's right, there's not one truth ever, just a bunch of stories, all going on at once, in our heads, in our hearts, all getting in the way of each other. It's all a beautiful calamitous mess. It's like the day Mr. James took us into the woods and cried triumphantly, "That's it! That's it!" to the dizzying cacophony of soloing instruments trying to make music together. That is it.”
tags: life

Jandy Nelson
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”

Jandy Nelson
“This is our story to tell. You’d think for all the reading I do, I would have thought about this before, but I haven’t. I’ve never once thought about the interpretative, the story telling aspect of life, of my life. I always felt like I was in a story, yes, but not like I was the author of it, or like I had any say in its telling whatsoever.”

Jandy Nelson
“All her knowledge is gone now. Everything she ever learned, or heard, or saw. Her particular way of looking at Hamlet or daisies or thinking about love, all her private intricate thoughts, her inconsequential secret musings – they’re gone too. I heard this expression once: Each time someone dies, a library burns. I’m watching it burn right to the ground.”

Jandy Nelson
“Each time someone dies, a library burns.”

“grief is a house
where the chairs
have forgotten how to hold us
the mirrors how to reflect us
the walls how to contain us

grief is a house that disappears
each time someone knocks at the door
or rings the bell
a house that blows into the air
at the slightest gust
that buries itself deep in the ground
while everyone is sleeping

grief is a house where no one can protect you
where the younger sister
will grow older than the older one
where the doors

down stairs
that are nothing
but air.”

Jandy Nelson
“He smiles and takes his index finger and presses it to my lips, leaves it there until my heart lands on Jupiter: three seconds, then removes it, and heads back into the living room. Whoa - well, that was either the dorkiest or sexiest moment of my life, and I'm voting for sexy on account of my standing here dumbstruck and giddy, wondering if he did kiss me after all.”

Jandy Nelson
“... if you're someone who knows the worst thing can happen at any time, aren't you also someone who knows the best thing can happen at any time too?”

Jandy Nelson
“Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes part of you, step for step, breath for breath.”

Jandy Nelson
“Music: what life, what living itself sounds like.”

“When I'm with him,
there is someone with me
in my house of grief,
someone who knows
its architecture as I do,
who can walk with me,
from room to sorrowful room,
making the whole rambling structure
of wind and emptiness
not quite as scary, as lonely
as it was before.”

Jandy Nelson
“According to all the experts, it's time for me to talk about what I'm going through... I can't. I'd need a new alphabet, one made of falling, of tectonic plates shifting, of the deep devouring dark.”

Jandy Nelson
“I wonder why bereaved people even bother with mourning clothes when the grief itself provides such an unmistakable wardrobe.”

Jandy Nelson
“I have an impulse to write all over the orange walls- I need an alphabet of endings ripped out of books, of hands pulled off of clocks, of cold stones, of shoes filled with nothing but wind.”

Jandy Nelson
“What kind of world is this? And what do you do about it? What do you do when the worst thing that can happen actually happens?”

Jandy Nelson
“How will I survive this missing? How do others do it? People die all the time. Every day. Every hour. There are families all over the world staring at beds that are no longer slept in, shoes that are no longer worn. Families that no longer have to buy a particular cereal, a kind of shampoo. There are people everywhere standing in line at the movies, buying curtains, walking dogs, while inside, their hearts are ripping to shreds. For years. For their whole lives. I don't believe time heals. I don't want it to. If I heal, doesn't that mean I've accepted the world without her?”

12/25/2011 page 11
4.0% "This book has gotten off to a very good start. I love the writing and the character portrayls. I've only just begun but I feel myself reading slower than normal to make this journey a little bit longer, because I feel I'll really like it. So, so far so good :)"
12/25/2011 page 38
13.0% "OHMYGOD this book is kiling me, that's how good it is! How is it possible that I (already) love every single person in this book (or in Rachels case, share the hatred)? Love every single line. This book is just so GOOD. It's like a favourite dessert where you just want to savour every bite."
12/25/2011 page 38
13.0% "I can already tell this is not the last time I will be reading this book, since there are already pages I just want to read over and over now. It's almost 01.00 am and I am going to ebd only with the sole purpose of waking up tomorrow and continue reading. I'm in love. With a book. <3"
12/26/2011 page 98
34.0% "This book is so good it's giving me chills. I'm not sure how's it's possible but it just keeps getting better and better. I don't ever want it to end!"

Rena Yes it is!!!