Lori's Reviews > Replay

Replay by Ken Grimwood

it was ok

The horse race was good.

I expect that I am just brimful of wealthy self-centered mediocre individuals undeservedly basking in privilege and power. But, all that irksome name dropping worn thin. I get it. There's a disproportionate lack of insignificant villagers in the past lives of people who claim to remember them. Nobody wants to be part of the three serf families that the Rostov's neighbor traded for a dog.

When I'm disengaged and uninterested in the story, it's awfully easy to find low hanging targets to knock. But, they not the reason that I dislike this book. I never had a problem with similar character flaws in other stories where someone is gifted youth. But, Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Nathaniel Hawthorne, Dr. Heidegger's Experiment never expected me to admire those characters.

I'm going with it's all a dream within a dream. I like George Berkeley's theory of subjective idealism, what little I know of it from Sophie's World. And, I appreciate the point made by Welwyn Wilton in a comment on her review.

One of the things I believe is that a novel is written by both the author and the reader, who brings to the novel whatever views or worries or perceptions s/he/they has. The unique point of view the reader brings changes the novel; we none of us ever actually read the same novel. It's like looking at the same river. Impossible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Replay.

November 15, 2017 – Shelved
November 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 24, 2017 – Started Reading
November 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky I enjoyed your references in the review better than what the book was about.

Lori Well, thank you!

Stephen Gallup I'm leaning toward your dream-with-a-dream interpretation. Near the end I began comparing it with my memory of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

Lori Stephen wrote: "I'm leaning toward your dream-with-a-dream interpretation. Near the end I began comparing it with my memory of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge."
Very nice! I'd like to reread An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

Stephen Gallup You can see a film version of it here:

Lori Stephen wrote: "You can see a film version of it here:

Thanks for the link!

Beverly Yes, Lori, I also gave it 2 stars and although I love time travel stories usually, this one had not much going for it.

Lori Beverly wrote: "Yes, Lori, I also gave it 2 stars and although I love time travel stories usually, this one had not much going for it."

Thank you, Beverly. I guess it wasn't right for either of us. I've friends who absolutely love this book. I just can't see it thru their eyes.