Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Before We Were Yours

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

bookshelves: bookclub, read-2018, 5-star-books, favorites, historical-fiction, owned

If you are not sure what you are reading next...make it this. You must. You simply must! I read this book in 2 days, I craved reading it during any free time I had and needed to reach its ending.

Before We Were Yours is my book club's January read. When I first read the synopsis I was a little hesitant. Who would want to read about children being kidnapped and being sold into adoption? Not me, but let me tell you...

It's 1939, the Foss siblings only know of life on the river with young parents whom they worship and adore: they are a close knit clan. One fateful night they are kidnapped by a high-powered adoption organization; the eldest, Rill, does everything she can to keep her family together in hopes of finding their way home. The Foss' time at the Tennessee Children's Home Society is inspired by true stories.

Fast forward to present time. Avery Stafford, born into a wealthy and political family, has a chance encounter with a woman at a nursing home that unsettles her. Her grandmother is suffering from dementia and after a visit with her she questions how these two women may be connected. She is on the hunt to uncover what she believes to be a family secret in order to protect them from political scandal. What she doesn't realize is that she will learn more about her grandmother and herself in the process.

The book chapters alternated between past and present, which I am a huge fan of. It especially worked with this book. The story did the Foss family justice; it was beautifully written. This book will definitely stick with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Yours.

November 14, 2017 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 –
page 190
January 3, 2018 –
page 222
63.07% "Wow, I need to finish this book today. It is brilliantly written and I want to know how it ends - like now!"
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star-books
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Reading.Between.Wines So glad that you liked this one so much. I can't wait to read it. Those poor kids!