The Behrg's Reviews > Lost Solace

Lost Solace by Karl Drinkwater

bookshelves: 5-star-reads

Science fiction is an easy genre to botch. Too much techno-garble, too little research, too much world building or an overabundant cast of characters; I find most authors lose the core of their story within the infinite array of possibilities they're incapable of leaving alone.

Drinkwater's latest is a great reminder of what makes sci-fi so appealing. Take a strong yet flawed protagonist who needs to accomplish something and then set obstacles in her way. It's not rocket science but man does it make for a compelling story.

The set up here is great, with Opal coming upon a "lost ship" circling the outer rim of a potential black hole, a ship that is far from what it appears to be. It's obvious Drinkwater is a horror author as the tension and atmosphere really keep this novel moving at full speed. Add a lot of questions and intrigue and a dynamic relationship between our protagonist and the ship's AI and you've really got a unique story that's just exceptionally executed.

Part "Alien," part "Cast Away," part "Interstellar," this exceeded my expectations and came in as one of my top Sci-Fi reads for 2017. Definitely worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Solace.

Quotes The Liked

Karl Drinkwater
“Note to self: don’t get captured.”

Karl Drinkwater
“We all have a black box inside us, and maybe one day another being vastly more powerful than we are will open it and understand it and judge us on it.”

Karl Drinkwater
“Command isn’t just giving orders. It’s knowing the minds of those below you,”

November 14, 2017 – Started Reading