Robin's Reviews > Infected

Infected by Scott Sigler

Oct 03, 2011

It took me a while to get into this book. I expected a horror novel and got more of a Michael Crichton thriller with a lot of technical explanations. (Though I did like the detail that the seeds had to be eaten by eyelash mites before they could start growing.) I missed the adrenaline that comes with not knowing what is going on and having to keep reading to find out.

However once I got into the battle between Perry Dawsey and the triangles, each new gross-out drew me into the story. Dawsey is the product of an abusive father and an aborted football career, who now works in a cubicle at a big company. He can take a lot of pain, and boy does he. Destroying the enemy means destroying himself.

Less interesting are the scientist and the government agents who are tracking the victims of the infection. There is nothing wrong with them, they are given backgrounds and character quirks, but they are fairly standard for this kind of book.

I can imagine a great movie made from this book, though Dawsey's last act of defiance would give it a rating way beyond R.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infected.

October 3, 2011 – Started Reading