Melissa's Reviews > The Girl in the Moss

The Girl in the Moss by Loreth Anne White

“You are so stubborn that you had to turn it all around, didn’t you?”

My excuse for taking an excessive amount of time after release to pick this up—Angie Pallorino's latest and now greatest, in my eyes—has proven to be pointless. Null and void. And I’m nothing other than incredibly overjoyed. I’d wrongly assumed this novel was the inevitable goodbye. A farewell to a couple I’ve rooted for since their unexpected beginning. Or a "see ya" to the guy whose unusual rhetoric and mysterious backstory have piqued my curiosity over the entirety of the series. And I just wasn't ready. BUT, what I've taken too long to say here is, it’s apparent there's more to come. No timeline or official announcement that I’ve seen as of yet, but the lingering storyline threads make it known a continuation or spin-off is imminent.

One thing to admire about ex-cop Angie Pallorino is her fierce independence. Unfortunately, as fans of the series know, it’s also proven to be one of her biggest downfalls. Her gut reaction is to push people away, and with her history, it's almost understandable. Almost.

The Girl in the Moss finds Angie in transition. Now a disgraced ex-cop, she’s having a hard time making a go of things as a private investigator, heightened by the media scrutiny. Turning over her badge has meant relinquishing her sense of self. It’s tough to watch those lingering insecurities bleed into her relationship with Maddocks after all they've been through. And at a time when they should be riding the high . . . together.

It’s a set of bones, uncovered in a damp and mossy forest, during a fly fishing trip, that provides the break Angie desperately needs. An opportunity to prove herself and give a grieving grandmother the answers she seeks. The major obstacle Angie faces, the locals who aren’t too kind when it comes to strangers asking questions. Especially those who are as unrelenting and tenacious as she is.

If you have yet to experience the power of Loreth Anne White’s storytelling—I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again and again—you’re missing out. Not only does White bring a complex investigation, but she also packs the pages with transportive details, interesting characters and just the right dose of romance. There’s nothing cookie-cutter or predictable; no cut corners or phoning it in. Each and every aspect of her storyline is well thought-out.

I hate to play favorites, but of the three Pallorino books this one earns the gold star. The culmination of Angie’s experiences and growth over the course of the series lands her in a pivotal moment of perfection. The realization that she deserves everyone that’s become a part of her life is both heartfelt and deeply satisfying. Some might even say “awww” inducing.

If you don’t know, I’ve been harboring a serious crush on Maddocks. He's proven to be a standup guy pretty much from the first moment we were introduced to the detective and that three-legged sidekick of his. Incredibly patient, supportive and driven, how could anyone not fall for the guy? And I didn’t even mention the nickname Angie first gave him. *wink*

Kjel Holgersen is the one character who’s managed to avoid sharing his truth. Sure, he’s let a few head-scratching tidbits slip out, only serving to ramp up my curiosity. I’m DYING for his backstory and secretly hoping he gets his very own book. No doubt, his unique diction (think Holder from The Killing on Netflix) over an entire novel would prove to be interesting; both for readers and I assume for White to write.

Whenever, wherever, however and with whomever. It could be a continuation of this series or a spinoff; I’ll take anything White is willing to give us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Moss.

November 14, 2017 – Shelved
November 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 26, 2019 – Started Reading
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
March 26, 2019 –
page 28
7.04% "I have no idea why it's taken me sooooooo long to pick this up—maybe I've been avoiding the inevitable goodbye—but I'm excited to be back with Maddocks and Angie! 💜"
March 26, 2019 –
page 30
7.54% "“I . . . wanted to make it official.” 🤭☺️😬💜"
March 28, 2019 –
page 97
24.37% "Deep down she knew she’d been doing it. She’d seen this coming, and she’d not been able to stop herself from sliding. Perhaps she’d even wanted it. 😖☹️😭"
March 30, 2019 –
page 162
40.7% "“Heya, top-o-the mornin’ to ya, Palloreeeno.” 😏"
March 31, 2019 –
page 296
74.37% "Oh, the secrets we keep. And how they keep us. And the havoc the truth could wreak. 🧐😧😳"
March 31, 2019 –
page 388
97.49% "Maybe it wasn’t just truth. Maybe at the heart of it all, at the heart of all that was human, even in the dark, was love. ☺️🥰🧡👏"
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: best-of-the-best
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense-mystery-thriller
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: unputdownable
April 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by Kira (new)

Kira Simion ;-------;

message 2: by Kira (new)

Kira Simion Not yet. I have so many anticipated reads!!! I CANNOT WAIT!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hall Ha ha! The to be acquired pile I presume Melissa? xx

Melissa Kira wrote: "Not yet. I have so many anticipated reads!!! I CANNOT WAIT!"

You and me both!!! Hahaha.

Melissa Rachel wrote: "Ha ha! The to be acquired pile I presume Melissa? xx"

The "give it to me NOW" pile! 😂

Sheyla ✎ I wish

Meredith Feel the same way! Wish it was available now.

message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy I may have to check out this series!!

Anita Up on NetGalley now.

Ramona Very good series. I've already pre-ordered "The Girl in the Moss," since last year.

Sheyla ✎ Finally, you are reading it!!

Ramona I've read all of the Pallorino series, including "The Girl in the Moss," and they were all very good.

Meredith Fabulous review, Melissa! I love this series--I agree with you, there just has to more to come!

message 14: by KAS (new)

KAS Thrilled there is more enjoyment for you to come, Melissa ;) Awesome review and glad you are really enjoying this series!!

message 15: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Excellent review, Melissa - and you definitely whetted my appetite to get started on this series! 😊❤

Kendall Fab review Melissa!!! I LOVE this series! Wondering when we get the next one!

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina Wonderful review Melissa!

message 18: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Melissa! 💖

Melissa Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Melissa! I love this series--I agree with you, there just has to more to come!"
Thanks, Meredith! I hope we get some news soon. 😬

Ramona wrote: "I've read all of the Pallorino series, including "The Girl in the Moss," and they were all very good."
Such a FANTASTIC set of characters and storyline. I hope we get more soon.

Sheyla ✎ wrote: "Finally, you are reading it!!"
Right?! 🤣

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I can feel your love for this series! Glad to hear it continues.... Maybe I'll pick up #1!

message 21: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Holly , a terrific review. Love when we have character crushes !

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Awesome review as always, Melissa! 💖 I'm so happy to see how much you love this series.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I haven't even HEARD of this series, but it sounds fantastic! Great review, Melissa :)!

Melissa Kendall wrote: "Fab review Melissa!!! I LOVE this series! Wondering when we get the next one!"
Right?! I hope we find out soon. 😬

Jaline wrote: "Excellent review, Melissa - and you definitely whetted my appetite to get started on this series! 😊❤"
Yay! It’s a good one, Jaline. Although, you can’t go wrong with any of her books. 😉🧡

KAS wrote: "Thrilled there is more enjoyment for you to come, Melissa ;) Awesome review and glad you are really enjoying this series!!"
Thanks, KAS! I can’t recommend this series enough. 😬

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary What a wonderful review,Melissa!! I love this author’s work!!

Melissa Holly wrote: "I can feel your love for this series! Glad to hear it continues.... Maybe I'll pick up #1!"
You should definitely consider it! 😉 She is one heck of a storyteller.

Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Melissa! 💖"
Thank you, Nicola! 🧡

Tina wrote: "Wonderful review Melissa!"
Thank you, Tina. 😬

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Holder from The Killings was terrific. I was sorry to see the tv series go...love your review, Melissa! I’ll have to take a good look at this series!

message 28: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Sigh of relief!? Glad you enjoyed this and that there seems to be more to come!! 🤗

message 29: by Libby (new)

Libby Excellent and compelling review Melissa! I placed the first book in the series on my TBR list.

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen Love that ending of your review, Melissa!

message 31: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wow fantastic review, Melissa 💖

Sheyla ✎ Great review. She is an amazing writer. I love Maddocks and I'm dying for Kjel to have his own book. She makes him so intriguing.

message 33: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Terrific write-up, Melissa! 🥰

message 34: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Great review, Melissa!

Melissa Rebecca wrote: "I haven't even HEARD of this series, but it sounds fantastic! Great review, Melissa :)!"
LAW is a FANTASTIC storyteller; I can’t recommend her work enough. 😬💜

Michelle wrote: "Awesome review as always, Melissa! 💖 I'm so happy to see how much you love this series."
Thanks, Michelle! 😊

Angela M wrote: "Holly , a terrific review. Love when we have character crushes !"
Me too! ☺️🧡

message 36: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review Melissa 💕

message 37: by Melissa (last edited Apr 15, 2019 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Jayme wrote: "Sigh of relief!? Glad you enjoyed this and that there seems to be more to come!! 🤗"
Right?! Love, love, love these characters. 😬🧡

Paula wrote: "Holder from The Killings was terrific. I was sorry to see the tv series go...love your review, Melissa! I’ll have to take a good look at this series!"
Right?! I was sad to see it go. I noticed him and Linden are in another series together called Hanna on Amazon. Hoping to check it out soon. 😬

Mary wrote: "What a wonderful review,Melissa!! I love this author’s work!!"
You and me both. She’s such a fabulous storyteller. 😬💜

Melissa Libby wrote: "Excellent and compelling review Melissa! I placed the first book in the series on my TBR list."
Thanks, Libby! You’ll have to let me know what you think. 😬🧡

Jen wrote: "Love that ending of your review, Melissa!"
Thanks, Jen! 😘

Felicia wrote: "Wow fantastic review, Melissa 💖"
Thanks, Felicia! 😉

message 39: by JanB (new)

JanB OK, so I'm missing out and it sound like I need to fix that - you're very convincing. Terrific review Melissa!

Melissa JanB wrote: "OK, so I'm missing out and it sound like I need to fix that - you're very convincing. Terrific review Melissa!"
Yes, you're totally missing out, Jan! 🤣 LAW is a fantastic storyteller.

Maureen wrote: "Super review Melissa 💕"
Thanks, Maureen! This was just what I needed.

Supratim wrote: "Great review, Melissa!"
Thank you, Supratim!

JV ❄️☃️❄️ wrote: "Terrific write-up, Melissa! 🥰"
Thank you, JV!!

Sheyla ✎ wrote: "Great review. She is an amazing writer. I love Maddocks and I'm dying for Kjel to have his own book. She makes him so intriguing."
She sure is! I hope we hear something soon.

message 41: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce I am raising my hand as one who is missing out. I will definitely take a look at this author. You are so increasing my TBR Melissa!

Melissa Marialyce wrote: "I am raising my hand as one who is missing out. I will definitely take a look at this author. You are so increasing my TBR Melissa!"
Hahahaha . . . consider it payback! You have added wayyyyy too many to mine. 😉🤣

message 43: by ♥Sharon♥ (new)

♥Sharon♥ Fantastic review Melissa! I need to check this author out. 😊

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wow! This sounds fantastic! I’ll have to check this series out! 💜

message 45: by Reni (new)

Reni Great review. I'm intrigued.

Melissa ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Fantastic review Melissa! I need to check this author out. 😊"
Yes, you should. I think you'd like her work, Sharon! 🧡

Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wow! This sounds fantastic! I’ll have to check this series out! 💜"
If you can't tell from my review, I highly recommend it! 🤣 She is a fantastic storyteller!

Reni wrote: "Great review. I'm intrigued."
Thank you, Reni! You'll have to let me know what you think, if you decide to give it a chance. 💜