Ofilia's Reviews > Wicked Girls

Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill

Oct 03, 2011

it was ok
Read from October 03 to 12, 2011

While the poetry in this book is beautiful, I don't think it quite works for this story. Hemphill takes her time in creating these voices and with so many characters, it is very hard to follow who is who. I found myself constantly flipping to the beginning of the book that lists the characters to figure out whose point of view I was reading. She also takes many liberties surmising that these teens faked their fits in order to maintain their newfound powerful position in this restrictive society. This modern slant where the girls recognize their power and continue to cry witch long after they know it's wrong should be very alluring, but I found it very off putting. A lot of the back story and events are also imagined including possible abuse and premarital sex. While I found Hemphill's angle fascinating, I wish it was fleshed out more, which is why I don't think the verse format was the best way to explore these ideas. She also is very indirect with many major plot points, which I think might make it more difficult for younger teens to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Girls.