Susanne Strong's Reviews > Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek by M.J. Arlidge

bookshelves: netgalley, 2017-five-star-books, must-read, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read November 14, 2017 to November 16, 2017.

4.5 Stars* (rounded up)

My Oh My! “Hide and Seek” is One Heck of a Heart Stopping Mystery/Suspense Novel!

M. J. Arlidge knocked my socks off with this one guys and gals.
Detective Inspector Helen Grace is trapped. In the worst way possible. She’s imprisoned, actually. And believe it or not, she’s actually innocent. The real culprit? Her own brother. He framed her. If that doesn’t suck, I don’t know what does.

For DI Grace, being imprisoned in Holloway is pretty bad. After all, almost everyone is against her and she knows that if she doesn’t get out of there, she won’t live to see to see the light of day. Her only hope is to escape or win the case against her at trial, neither of which seem very likely. Thank goodness her former DS, Charlie Brooks, is still on her side.

While waiting things out, the cellmate next door to DI Grace is found dead and boy does it look suspicious. Suspicious, and gruesome, if you must know. Grace, of course, can’t help but investigate the case on her own even though she doesn’t actually have any evidence. Heck, it’s what she does. Then the murderer strikes again and DI Grace has to figure out who is out to get rid of the female prisoners before she’s next. Either way, the outcome for DI Grace doesn’t look good.

“Hide and Seek” is one crazy, insane and wildly impressive read. I was glued to the novel like a radio stuck on a single station. M.J. Arlidge sure caught my attention with this wickedly suspenseful novel and I am glad she did.

I am ashamed to admit that I requested this novel from NetGalley, not realizing that it was part of a series and not having read the prior books in the series. That being said, “Hide and Seek” read extremely well as a standalone - M.J. Arlidge provides a stellar amount of background about the prior book(s) so I understood what happened previously and felt immediately invested. While I don’t normally read a series out of order (and plan to read the other books in the series in order from start to finish), I am so glad I read this one, as the character of DI Grace got under my skin. She was dynamic and gutsy and is one heck of a detective. Charlie Brooks was a little spit-fire. All I can say is, if I ever get myself into trouble, I want these two on the case.

Thank you to NetGalley, Berkley Publishing Group and M.J. Arlidge for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley, Goodreads, Amazon, Twitter and Instagram on 11.22.17.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide and Seek.

November 14, 2017 – Started Reading
November 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-five-star-books
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: must-read
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I need to get caught up on this series!

Susanne  Strong Melissa wrote: "I need to get caught up on this series!"

I loved this book Melissa - I haven't read any of this author's prior novels but I can't wait to go back and do so!

message 3: by j e w e l s (new) - added it

j e w e l s Great review Susanne! Just added -looking for the rest of the series, too!😊

message 4: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, Susanne! Gosh, I wish I didn't had this urge to read books in order! It's frustrating most of the time!

Susanne  Strong j e w e l s wrote: "Great review Susanne! Just added -looking for the rest of the series, too!😊"

Thanks Jewels! Glad I'm not alone. :)

Susanne  Strong Nazanin wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! Gosh, I wish I didn't had this urge to read books in order! It's frustrating most of the time!"

I totally agree Nazanin! I only read this out of order b/c of my own snafu but I really liked, now I will go back and start with #1.

ABookwormWithWine So funny, I literally did the exact same thing!!! I thought it was pretty good as a stand-alone as well! I can’t wait to read the other books in this series, this one was so good!

Susanne  Strong Reading.Between.Wines wrote: "So funny, I literally did the exact same thing!!! I thought it was pretty good as a stand-alone as well! I can’t wait to read the other books in this series, this one was so good!"

LOL! Glad to hear it wasn't just me!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie Great series, great review!!

Susanne  Strong Julie wrote: "Great series, great review!!"

So glad to hear you like the entire series Julie! And thanks so much!

message 11: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith This sounds really good, Susanne! I read one of the earlier books in the series, but I haven't kept up with it but it sounds like I should be! Wonderful review!!

Norma * Traveling Sister Awesome review, Susanne! Sounds so good!

message 13: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana fabulous review Susanne!! I will check out this series 😊

Susanne  Strong Meredith wrote: "This sounds really good, Susanne! I read one of the earlier books in the series, but I haven't kept up with it but it sounds like I should be! Wonderful review!!"

Thanks Meredith! I hope you get back to this series also!

Susanne  Strong Norma wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! Sounds so good!"

Thanks so much Norma!

Susanne  Strong Svetlana wrote: "fabulous review Susanne!! I will check out this series 😊"

Thanks Svetlana! Glad to hear you want to read this too. It is so worth it!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

200 joules...clear!

great reviewing, susanne.

message 18: by JanB (new)

JanB Great review Susanne! I like a strong gutsy female lead :)

message 19: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Excellent review Suzanne! Heard wonderful things about this series 😊

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen Sounds like a thrilling one! Nice review Susanne

Susanne  Strong paulie wrote: "200 joules...clear!

great reviewing, susanne.

crank it to 300...clear! (helping yr heart resume - i'm a dead ringer for dr. john carter)"

Thanks Paulie! How did you know I loved Dr. Carter?! :)

Susanne  Strong JanB wrote: "Great review Susanne! I like a strong gutsy female lead :)"

Thanks Jan!

Susanne  Strong Kendall wrote: "Excellent review Suzanne! Heard wonderful things about this series 😊"

Thanks Kendall!

Susanne  Strong Jen wrote: "Sounds like a thrilling one! Nice review Susanne"

Thanks Jen!

message 25: by Cheri (new)

Cheri What a fantastic review, Susanne, I love what you said about a character getting under your skin, for me that's such a wonderful feeling because you become a part of it all!

Susanne  Strong Cheri wrote: "What a fantastic review, Susanne, I love what you said about a character getting under your skin, for me that's such a wonderful feeling because you become a part of it all!"

Thanks so much Cheri! The character of Helen definitely did that for me! I can’t wait to read more books in this series! :).

Rachida  ANEJJAR The culprit isn't Helen's brother. He's her nephew.