Jo's Reviews > Perfect Chemistry

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Oct 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: library, ya, guilty-pleasures, oh-how-we-laugh
Read from October 04 to 05, 2011

“Alex probably brings his dates sharp knives as gifts, in case she’ll need one when she’s out on a date with him.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Well considering I thought I was going to read about two pages of this book before giving up, I’m surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Maybe I am a girl after all. Gosh.

High Points.
Brittany. Alex. PacoPacoPaco. Pom squad. Garages. Motorcycles. Science projects. Beaches. Leather jackets. Bandanas. Chichis. The phrase “ripped bod”. Muffins. Hand warmers…and sex.

Low Points.
I’ll be the first person to admit that I get unnecessarily angry about epilogues.
WHY? Why are they needed? Books, as a rule, are better just left with an ambiguous ending. Because us readers like to fill in the blanks, don’t we? We like to get our own way. We like to give our beloved characters a happy ending. We like to give our most hated characters a quick shove off a cliff.
Most epilogues force characters into ridiculous situations that are either twee, implausible or just so sickly sweet you just want to throw not the book out of the window, but yourself.
This epilogue was one of them.
Also…. There seemed to be a whole lot of nothing happening in some chapters and then A MILLION things happening in others.
And, I think the American definition of ‘gangbanger’ is different to the British one.
If not… Alex just got a whole lot more interesting.

Heroine.
Oh, I loved Brittany. Like most people who’ve read this book I had pretty much decided I was going to hate her and read her sections with a scowl on my face.
But, out of the two, I actually preferred Brittany’s chapters over Alex’s. I’ll go into this more later, but her narration seemed more natural and her feelings and thoughts were a lot more believable.
Even though I don’t think we’d be friends if I had attended this Fairfield (My school was actually called Fairfield…. But unfortunately my chemistry lessons contained more old, wooden desks that put ladders in your tights when you get near to them rather than sexy Mexicano lovers that put ladders in your tights when you get near to them.), I still liked you. It’s just that we have absolutely nothing in common except we occasionally use muffin analogies to describe the state of our life.
But you were lovely and sweet and caring and a bit of a saucy minx when you wanted to be.
Car garages, eh?

Hero.
Alright, Alejandro. Sorry, I know you don’t like being called that. But I like to say it… and then sing it.
Badly.
But we’ll stick with Alex.
You were very cute and I liked that you were a bit of a one and talked about chichis and how you’d keep the light on and all sorts of things to make a good girl like me blush.
I also loved your history and your background and how you were loyal and were a good hermano to the mini-Alex’s that ran around in the background.
Also, you sound so effin’ hot it’s insane.
But, going back to the reason why I wasn’t 100% sold on your chapters… saying things like “She’s like a mystery, and all I can think about is unravelling the clues” and “We’re actors in our lives, pretendin’ to be who we want people to think we are” is a sure fire way of getting a slap from moi.
Seriously, I know you’re not rotten to the core. You’re all gooey in the middle and being a gang-whatever doesn’t define who you truly are on the inside.
You don’t have to keep trying to convince me.
I get it… you’re deep.

“Problem is, the bathroom pass can’t help you escape life”.

OK, but can it help me escape those little nuggets of wisdom?

Theme Tune.

Love Goes Down by Plan B

I’ve chosen this song because it’s one of the few modern love songs that isn’t overly sappy and vile and errrrugh. And I just think this entire album is genius.
AND this song is before Mr Banks gets dumped unceremoniously, goes to prison and then kills someone in self-defence and everything is still lovely and cute and sexysexy.
But don’t worry guys! We know our Alejandro doesn’t share that same fate thanks to that cracking epilogue.

*scowls*

Boy/Girl Angst Level.
6/10. It could’ve been a lot worse.
I liked Alex and Brittany together, I thought they made a great couple… but I couldn’t help but wish they had had more ‘Urgh, I hate you’ moments before they decided that they were going to be soul mates.
I don’t know… but I loved their banter and their…wait for it... wait for itchemistry when they were all fizzy and zingy and snarky with each other. Sure, they could be soulmates eventually… but I wanted more oomph.

Sadness Scale.
5/10. I wanted this book to be sadder and all the elements were there but, like I said before, the pacing kind of prevented it.
It seemed the truly sad and distressing moments were kind of just brushed over. Especially the bit at the end!
Ohhh.

Recommended For.

People who are looking for a slightly predictable yet still fun romance book. People who don’t mind a book about chemistry that isn’t actually about chemistry. Unless we count the cure for Alzheimer’s. But it’s probably best if we don’t. People who always add “And to sex” under their breath when they are making toasts. People who think garages are for sexytime. People who wish their driving instructor was a boy with a leather jacket (although a lovely Welshman with a ton of patience at me squealing whenever a sheep got too close to the dry stone walls that lined the windy (and icy) roads of Llanberis would always be my second choice). People who wish their teenage rebellion involved a sexy boy on a motorbike. People who use delicious baked treats to describe their mental states.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting stuff on my blog here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Chemistry.

Quotes Jo Liked

Simone Elkeles
“I'm losing control."-Brittany
Mamacita, I've already lost it."-Alex”
Simone Elkeles, Perfect Chemistry

10/04/2011 page 83
23.0% "Oh Alex, you know how to make a girl blush. Also, please don't get blood on the books! *frets*" 5 comments

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Reynje I can't wait to hear what you think. I've been eyeing this off for a while but I can't bring myself to walk up to the cash register toting that cover :)

Although, if I was a braver person, I'd just be: "Why yes, I DO read YA contemporary romance. Go ahead and judge me, you patronising punks."

message 16: by Ariana (new) - added it

Ariana Well that's why i prefer ebooks, It's not like my ipad will be judging me, LOL ;))

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha I'm waiting for my library to hunt down the sonovabish that still has this out get this back in.

message 14: by Jo (last edited Oct 04, 2011 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Hahah, this is from the library. The woman sort of raised her eyebrow pointedly at the adult section, so I punched her in the face gave her a megawatt smile and proceeded on my merry way.

But yeah, Ari. That's what I do. Normally if a book looks ridiculous or has an awful cover... Kindle it is!

But yes, this cover is atrocious. Firstly, it looks like the girl is having a nap and he's just looming over her like some kind of sexual deviant.. with MASSIVE HANDS.

Reynje Oh wow. Those are huge hands! I never noticed..

message 12: by Aly (Fantasy4eva) (last edited Oct 26, 2011 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Reynje wrote: "Oh wow. Those are huge hands! I never noticed..

Jo, i find a book-slap (preferably with a hard cover) works well as an alternative to a punch. You know, just to mix things up :)"

I loved this book! The next isn't as good and I hear the third is even worse but fans continue to stick with the series for PC. So hopefully you'll enjoy this one. I got this from my local library too. Might have gotten a few looks but it doesn't really bother me. Hope you get to read it soon! :)

Reynje Thanks Aly, I'll check out my library and see if I can track it down again, as it's been a while since I've seen a copy in a bookstore..

message 10: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam I think the American definition of ‘gangbanger’ is different to the British one.

Hahaha! It is a weirdness: a "gangbang" is a group rape, but a "gangbanger" is someone who joins a gang because he isn't tough enough on his own. I suppose there is probably significant overlap between the two categories, though.

Laura That’s it! I’m saving one of your reviews for the end of my day every day! :D You always make me smile!
I might have to pick this one up next just to see the—“ fizzy and zingy and snarky” chemistry! Lovely words! :)

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Miriam: I did get there eventually but the first time I read it I was like... Um.. WHAT?!
Poor Alex, lost in translation.

Laura: Haha, thank you :) It isn't going to change your life but it is surprisingly fun if you don't expect too much :p

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Awesome review, made me laugh :D Going to read the second? :P

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Thanks Aly!
I think I will... eventually.
Is it any good? :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Jo wrote: "Thanks Aly!
I think I will... eventually.
Is it any good? :)"

Well, honestly, it's not as good. I read it out of pure curiosity, and well, I expected it to be better. I hear the third is even worse, so I kind of left it at that for the moment. I'm content with just loving the first for some reason, but I think it wholly depends on you. It won't be as good the first, so as long as you don't get your hopes up and know somewhat what to expect, you'll be better off. If anything, I didn't regret reading it because I got to see Alex, Hahaha :P

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa "I was half expecting Albus Severus Potter to be chilling out in the back of that classroom as they all come up with the cure for the common cold. " This just made my day!

Ashseal Gangbanger is someone who is in a gang. Haha but your review was great and I agreed with everything.

message 2: by Jae (new)

Jae salute sire, entertaining review...

Evan Lien Reynje wrote: "I can't wait to hear what you think. I've been eyeing this off for a while but I can't bring myself to walk up to the cash register toting that cover :)

Although, if I was a braver person, I'd jus..."

Self check-out at the library! it's free, and no one sees you. though i may have shoplifted my copy. maybe.