Darren Beyer's Reviews > Genesis: The Battle Within

Genesis by David J.  Tucker

A well thought out back story/universe.

David Tucker has crafted a very interesting "world" in which his characters are delivered to us. I tend to stay away from a lot of dystopian fiction without context (e.g. like post-apocalyptic) because so much thought has to be expended on understanding what the back drop looks like, rather than focusing on the plot. My main knock on Genesis is that it fell into this mold. The amount of back story Mister Tucker explains to the reader got overwhelming at times. Combined with the complexity introduced by the multiple facets of the main character, it caused me to put the book down earlier than I would have wanted on a couple occasions. Still, once you become comfortable with the universe at large, the story reads well, and I found it enjoyable to dig into.

If dystopian sci-fi is your bag, and/or you like richly detailed back story descriptions, then you won't be disappointed with Genesis. For me, the couple things I mention put this at a 3.5 star rating. Since I can't rate it 3.5, and another reviewer had the same, but dropped it to 3, I'm raising mine to 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

November 13, 2017 – Started Reading