Karen Mace's Reviews > Three Things About Elsie

Three Things About Elsie by Joanna  Cannon

This is the book that I chose to read to say farewell to 2017 and hello to 2018.... and what a way to start the year!! It was wonderful!!! And if you loved The Trouble With Goats and Sheep, as I did, then you are in for a treat as this was just as fabulous, if not a little bit better - if that is even possible! And I'm very grateful to Waterstones for sending me my pre-order earlier than release date!!

This is the story of Florence who we find on the floor of her living room floor in the sheltered accommodation awaiting someone to come in and help her. As she is waiting we get to hear her background of her time in Cherry Tree along with her best friend, Elsie, along with the stories of those who work there and other residents.

She is an extremely astute and witty woman, despite the fact that her memory is beginning to fail her leading to the fact that those around her doubt things she says and notices. So when a new resident appears that she recognises, it falls on deaf ears when she tries to explain just who this character is and what impact he had on her past. The threat of being moved to a different care home hangs over her if she doesn't improve memory and behaviour wise, and this is something that Florence really struggles with and causes her even more doubts.

It's a story of characters who are all evaluating their lives - as we all do - have the things we've done meant anything to anyone? The author really captures that doubt that affects us all of what we contribute to the world, be it big or small, and nothing summed this up more for me than when the residents watched as a room was being cleared when one resident dies and they await a new one. The sadness it made them feel that all those things that meant so much to one person were just swept aside.

The mystery at the heart of the book was also a fascinating and clever one. The way the characters came together to revisit the past was the reason I couldn't put this book down once I'd picked it up! 453 pages in one sitting! ! I love finding books that make you put real life on pause - even just for one night!!

I was an emotional sobbing mess by the end of this book and that is how much all the characters came to mean to me! Definitely going to be on of my books of 2018 - already!! Loved it!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Things About Elsie.

November 13, 2017 – Shelved