Brett Williams's Reviews > Nonlinear Laser Chemistry: Multiple-Photon Excitation

Nonlinear Laser Chemistry by V.S. Letokhov

Letokhov (1939 – 2009) the author of this book was a pioneer in the field of laser chemistry and provides a good statement of the science of multi-photon excitation as it was in 1982. Much has been learned, but much was also already in place. His is the only text I’ve found that tells me why my SciLab model fails to find a single “magic” photon all the way a molecular vibration ladder to the quasi-continuum. Common sense had me searching from the bottom up. On page 206 Letokhov says the method will only work if we start in the middle, part way up the ladder, not from the first step. “[Only] if the [laser] frequency is tuned in resonance to the Q-branch of the transition v = 1 to v = 2.” Once found, take that energy to the bottom and search for matches up the vibration-rotation ladder from there. I could have saved a sizable portion of hair on my head had any one of countless other books and papers made this short remark. #$@&*%! Letokhov even provides numeric examples so common in engineering, virtually unheard of in physics texts. Though he can leave their details, units, and missing terms to the paper referenced – an annoyance. With all the odd ball ways that molecules can do things, his Figure 5.13 is a nice survey. And chapter 5 is where things really come together for multi-photon operations. Good book. Forgotten by time and foreign territory to most. Bought for a song.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nonlinear Laser Chemistry.

November 13, 2017 – Started Reading