Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)'s Reviews > Haven

Haven by Mary Lindsey

bookshelves: arc, netgalley

I went into this book with a little trepidation. Teen romance, werewolves, witches, pack mentality, men having issues with a woman coming into power.. yada yada yada. I was expecting the usual YA fluff that you get. But hell, I do have a deep love for this genre and was hoping it was done in a way that kept my interest. Well, I got that and a WHOLE LOT MORE!

The beginning was typical in itself - kid from the wrong side of the tracks gets taken in by his aunt. Goes to school, is the odd guy out (he's totally used to this), get enamored with the tough girl in class... the other guys are protective of her.. and then it gets weird. Weird in a good way.

This definitely ended up being a bit darker than I had expected and the last 40% had me not wanting to do anything else but read. On the subway ride home, I actually ended up gasping out loud during a fight scene, which elicited a few weird looks from those around me (sorry, not sorry).

The only thing I didn't care for too much were the sex scenes and some of the dialogue that came with it. Just my own preference and the only thing that kept me from a five star rating for this book. However, as the book progressed so did my engagement with each of the characters. Rain and Freddie are adorable together, whether I want to admit it or not. And this is the second book ever where there's been a character named Moth. :)

In a nutshell, I have to say I was thoroughly entertained and by the end of the book had fallen in love with it. Hey Mary, are we going to be seeing more of them? I certainly hope so. I'll definitely be checking out more work by this author.

Thank you to Entangled Teen and Netgalley for this copy in return for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

November 13, 2017 – Started Reading
November 13, 2017 – Shelved
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
November 14, 2017 –
35.0% "An interesting story - I'm not sure about the "sexy" scenes though..."
November 14, 2017 – Finished Reading